1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about a broody hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbreak, Mar 5, 2012.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I have a BCM hen that has decided to go broody. I took the eggs last night but she still sitting. Tonight there were no eggs to gather so I think she is stealing them. Been getting 6-11 eggs per day. My questions are:
    1. My nest is 2 foot off the ground so she will have to be moved. Should i go ahead and move her now. That way she can't steal anymore eggs.
    2. Do I move her at night? I thought I would put hay in pet carrier and take the eggs from under her and then pick her up and put her in there. That way if she decides to quit sitting it won't be right before they hatch.
    3. How many eggs should I let her have?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated !!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She'd actually be OK in a nest that high. After the chicks jumped down, she'd just cover them for sleep or warmth wherever they gathered. Plenty of hens have hatched in a hay loft. But it's safer for the eggs to separate her while she is setting. Broodies will steal eggs, but others will also lay in their nest, and they will return to the wrong nest.

It is tricky to move a broody and not break the broodiness. Yes, I'd do it at night, but I'd take the whole nest, or as much as I could, at least the hay or whatever. I know it seems like a good time to give her fresh bedding, but I wouldn't do it. I'd set the hen aside, then pick up eggs and nesting material in one unit, maybe slide it onto a tray or something, if you can.

However many she can cover well. Probably around 8, but it just depends on the hen.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by