questions about a duck coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AHappychick, Dec 31, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am in the design stage of an duck coop for my runner ducks. So far I have the basic plan with a covered run and coop that has a door that I can open (when I am around) so that they have access to my pond. The pond is about 27 feet long by 24 wide. After looking at another post I was wondering if it would be good to put a small floating house that they could scurry into if danger came while they were swimming. I figured it could be in the middle of the pond and just big enough to fit them and provide quick cover like a bolt hole. Is this a good idea or unnecessary. I have cooper hawks and a few cats that sometimes come around and although I have heard that the runner ducks are good at spotting predators I would rather not loose any if possible. Any comments or criticism is welcome as I am a newbie to this whole duck thing.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    A problem I see is that the floating coop would have to have a door that could close behind the ducks. Otherwise a hawk or owl could fly right in there after them. Large birds can fit into surprisingly small areas - trust me, I had a great horned owl fly into a doorway that was 1 foot wide and less than 2 feet tall.

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
  4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Don't know how deep your pond is but ducks, duck [​IMG] under water when swooped on by an air predator.
    I don't think the floating house is necessay, just a secure predator proof night time shelter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by