Questions about adding Black Jersey Giants to an existing flock.

DoxonFarms

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Nebraksa
I have an existing flock of about 40 hens and 2 ginues. I'm thinking about getting a dozen straight run Black Jersey Giants. I'd keep a roo or two and freeze the other roos, the hens would be kept for egg laying. None of my current breeds really are the broody type I would want them to make more babies to grow the flock and keep the freezer full. I've done cornish cross in the past and would like a breed that they don't all have to be dressed out at the same time. A couple questions.
With as many hens as I have would the roo to hen ratio probably keep my hens from being hurt? I do have 8 polish so that is kind of a concern. My RIR rooster left them alone so hopefully.
What breed makes for really broody hens? I prefer not to ho have to incubate.
Any advice would be appreciated.

With as many hens as I have would the roo to hen ratio probably keep my hens from being hurt?
In my opinion there is no magic ratio. You can have he same issues whether you have one hen to a rooster or 25 hens to a rooster. Or you can have no issues whatsoever.

I do have 8 polish so that is kind of a concern. My RIR rooster left them alone so hopefully.
When they mate the hen squats. That gets the rooster's weight into the ground through her entire body, not just through her legs. That's nature's way of protecting a hen from a heavier rooster. Manty people keep full sized roosters in with a flock of bantam hens and never have problems. Some people do. The greater the difference in the size of the rooster and hen the ore likely a problem, but there is no guarantee either way. Many people have no problems.

What breed makes for really broody hens? I prefer not to ho have to incubate.
You can go through Henderson's Breed Chart and get their opinion. It's as valid as anyone else's. Regardless of breed any hen can go broody. Regardless of breed any hen may never go broody her entire life.

Henderson’s Breed Chart

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

would like a breed that they don't all have to be dressed out at the same time.
I totally appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom