Questions about ancient still-air Hova-bator

buckabucka

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 13, 2010
Fairfield, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I've borrowed a still-air Hovabator to try my very first hatch. I've done a bit of reading on here, and had thought that these incubators draw fresh air from the bottom and vent out the top. This incubator has only two vent plugs, - both in the top.

The instruction booklet suggests having both plugs in for the first 3 days of incubation, which would provide no fresh air at all. Is this really a good idea?

After 3 days, it says to pull the back plug, and only to pull the front plug if the windows fog up.

The instructions also say to operate the incubator at 99 1/2 degrees. I had read that I should aim for that temperature at the bottom of the eggs, and 101 at the top. Would this be different if there is no air coming in from the bottom?

Are all still air hovabators like this, or is this one really an antique?

I'd like to get my hatch underway later this month. I really appreciate any advice!

I have one the same Ive been using it for over a year and only discovered last week that the red things were plugs, lol. The best bit of advice I can give you on it is never adjust the temp after you have opened it . It seems to drop lots and take ages to get back up but if you adjust it, it creeps up and you get a temp spike
smile.png

Quote:
Ha ha yes and I couldn't figure why the humidity was so high I had dehumidifiers in it I gave up in the end and switched it to a hatcher and bought a new incubator
gig.gif

In my defense it was second hand and I didn't get the instructions
idunno.gif
I could of saved hours and a fortune just by taking the plugs out
th.gif

Oh, I'm a dummy! I just got this borrowed incubator today, so I know nothing about it. I plugged it in just now, -hmm... what is that strange noise? It has a fan! I've been studying still-air incubation for weeks, since I thought that was what I was getting!
roll.png

Now I will need to read about this kind. Since it is styrofoam, is it best to start with a dry incubation (until lockdown)?

Quote:
No theres nothing I even went and had a look there are some screws holding white plastic discs on top. please tell me they're not something important too
roll.png

I don't up humidity at all but thats a personal preference that works for me
smile.png

Quote:
Why is it the complicated state of the art ones I can figure in a second but the bog standard basic one seems to baffle me? Lol.
I gave up on it after a couple of hatches I recently got it back out as a back up hatcher. Now I know all this I have a dilemma. Do I reinstate it as an incubator and fill it with as many eggs as I can? or do I keep it as a hatcher and stick to the other 3 as incubators?
I hate making decisions
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom