questions about brood hens?

flea4leah

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Well I have a chicken that hasn't got off her nest in over a week. She is in a chicken coop with the following animals: goats, turkeys, ducks, 1 rooster, and other hens. Do I need to move her to someplace where she's alone? What all do I need to make her feel comfortable? After the chickens hatch do I move the hen back to the coop? Do I put food and water in with her? Do I have to turn the eggs over? If so how often? I am not incubating the eggs the hen is hatching them. If there is anymore information I need I will take all you know.

dont even touch the eggs the hen will take care of it. you dont have to move her. i would put food and water in with her. if she stays with the flock they all have to eat chick starter feed with oyster shell on the side. if babys eat layer feed the extra protien can kill them.

I hope you don't mind my intrusion, but I figured I could tag along here instead of starting a new post on the same topic.

So, if a hen goes "broody", and sits on however many eggs, and let's say they hatch, and let's say this is a free-range flock...then what? Do we need to provide chic feed for the chics (where they can reach it, etc...)? Or does the hen make sure they get what they need?

...wanted to add...

Are there any threads or how-to articles from folks who have raised chicks this way (letting the hen do the hatching/raising, etc...) that we can go to and learn all the details?

I hope you don't mind my intrusion, but I figured I could tag along here instead of starting a new post on the same topic.

So, if a hen goes "broody", and sits on however many eggs, and let's say they hatch, and let's say this is a free-range flock...then what? Do we need to provide chic feed for the chics (where they can reach it, etc...)? Or does the hen make sure they get what they need?
yes if they stay with the flock you have to give them all chick feed and put a bowl of oyster shell on the side for layers. if babys get the extra protien from layer feed it an kill them.

I've had broody hens raise chicks of different breeds and I generally just let her do the hatching and once their hatched I separate them to keep me from having to spend extra money on chick starter if my chicks aren't even getting any if they're kept with the flock. This way I know they're getting some, also I always make sure I give the broody hen regular scratch once the chicks are born and I feed with a pvc feeder so it makes it super easy to keep chicks away from it. Oh and just like Five is my dog says make sure the hen gets plenty of food and water close to her nest (within a foot)

You don't have to separate your hen and chicks I'm only saying that I do.

Last edited:
I've had broody hens raise chicks of different breeds and I generally just let her do the hatching and once their hatched I separate them to keep me from having to spend extra money on chick starter if my chicks aren't even getting any if they're kept with the flock. This way I know they're getting some, also I always make sure I give the broody hen regular scratch once the chicks are born and I feed with a pvc feeder so it makes it super easy to keep chicks away from it. Oh and just like Five is my dog says make sure the hen gets plenty of food and water close to her nest (within a foot)
have you ever had a colombian rock, RIR, EE, or ameraucana go broody?
fl.gif

ok thanks it still gives me hope!
HAHA! I'm laughing with you, not at you. When my brother gave me "my first flock", I specifically picked out his broody Barred Rock because I wanted to hatch some eggs with the Roo's genes. I guess the trip home and the new scenery was enough to break her. I've had her now for almost 3 weeks (I know, I know...I'm not being patient) and she has not sat in a nest yet any longer than it takes to squat out an egg...then back to the yard she runs.

Back
Top Bottom