Questions about broody hen and foster chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by havi, Feb 22, 2009.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Okay last night I put 7 foster babies under my broody hen. She just hatched out 4 babies herself. Well all night last night I checked on her and she was doing great. Well around 11 the morning I went out to check on her and she was still fine. But 15 mins later she started chasing a couple of them around. She would kinda peck at them, but didnt look like she was hurting them. So I kept watching and 10 mins later she started going after a couple more. Then it seemed like if they werent one of her 4 babies she was pecking at them and chasing them. So in a panic I took them out and put them back in the brooder I have set up. But what should I do now? Should I just accept that shes not going to take them? Or should I wait and try it again? I would really love for her to take them all 'under her wing' sorta speaking, but is there anything else I can do to help?

2. innof8happinesses

innof8happinesses Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    That is a tough one. I would worry all the time so it would ease my mind to keep them separate until they were older... My other hens always seems to go after any new chickie for quite awhile... and I have had to intervene many times to prevent them from being killed. Hopefully someone who has tried this will have a better answer for you. But for my sanity, I would probably not put the foster chickies with the mama hen.

Best of luck!

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Did you put them under at night? did you confine her for at least 12 hours? i've found that if she has them undr her for at least 12 hours and is confined were they stay under her the whole time it works better. place them back under her and confine her, thats what I would do. some hens dont like foster chicks. if she doesn't take them the second time your going to have to brood them. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by