Questions about cochin wings/correctness for showing

chickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2007
Stillwater, NJ
I have a large fowl cochin that has different wings than the rest. The first 4 primary feathers on the wings come to a point and are longer and thinner than the rest. All the other feathers have a nice round end to it, whereas all my other cochins have consistant fat round feathers on both wings. I can post a pic later if needed.

My questions: Is this going to be a DQ or points taken off for the different wing feathers? I have the standard of perfection and it does not mention this. Would a judge look down on this type of feather? Is this a bad trait that may be in this bloodline? Would this bird be able to be used as a breeder? Thanks for any help.

chickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2007
Stillwater, NJ
Here are pictures to compare.

Here is the one in question. Keep in mind he is only 5 months old so i'm sure his wings will grow more. Notice the pointed, longer feathers. I do not see these changing to match the other birds feathers.

Here is what the others look like. This one is a year old but even the younger ones have wings like this also.

Can anyone help me out as to whether or not this would be a DQ in a show or if I will be marked down points. Or does this not matter at all? Thanks for looking.

Top Bottom