Questions about composting with chickens and MEAT?

Child of Noah

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Upstate New York
I've been composting for a little while (prior to getting chickens), and my main motivation for it was actually to reduce trash AND to reduce food-in-trash which would attract pests.
However, I read somewhere that "they" said you can only put vegetable kitchen scraps into compost. Which is what I have been doing. Mainly because "they" know much more about composting than I would.
Last Fall I cleaned out my fish garden pond and added the muck at the bottom. That stuff was thick, black, and AMAZING!

Now I have chickens. I am thinking of doing something like this https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/composting-with-chickens although a little more small-scale.

I've been reading threads here about composting with/for chickens. One comment said "I throw meat bones out to my chickens and they are picked clean!"
So does that mean it is okay to put meat products in my compost pile which my chickens are working?

I know chickens are omnivores. I never really fully understood why "they" say you can not put meat products into compost.

I would love to be able to do this, since that would essentially eliminate my food "garbage" and also the whole "pests in the garbage" thing.

In small amounts, meat into the compost pile is just fine in my book. I scrape leftovers with meat in them into my compost pile with good results. It all gets gobbled up by the worms or the chickens. I do not personally subscribe to rigid guidelines of my compost pile. I still get very useful black rich compost from it. That being said the amount of meat that goes into my pile is very limited compared to the amount of leaves/grass/shavings/twigs ect.

Best of wishes to ya.

Very cool. I wouldn't have a lot of meat either, but it was always kind of annoying that the small amount I did have couldn't go into the pile, and I wouldn't put veggies that had been "tainted" by it either (like those in roasts, etc.).
This is very good news. I'm really looking forward to putting my chickens to work on the compost, and I think they will enjoy it too.
Thank you for the response!

Back
Top Bottom