Questions about coop/run next to building

colinml

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
We just purchased a home in a rural area in the Pacific Northwest, and I have no experience with chickens. I have questions about where to locate the coop on my property.

There is a shop building about 50 feet from the house with a shed roof extension on the west end (a space one might park a tractor or stack firewood). The area under the roof is about 200 sq ft, and I was thinking that I might enclose this space to create a coop/covered run. (There would also be a protected sunny area, as well as supervised free range opportunity). The benefits of this coop location are that I have easy access to power (inside the shop), and, since there is already a roof and one wall, it would be considerably less expensive than building a free-standing structure. Moreover, it would be an easy walk from the house across a gravel drive that doesn't get swampy, even in the rainy season (not true of the pasture areas). Finally, this would place the coop on the far side of the building from the house, so it would tend to block noises. Our goal is eggs, and we would purchase 8 hens, probably Rhode Island Red (I'm still considering breeds). We also want to do meat birds later, but would do those in a different area of the property, I think.

My questions are thus: Are there potential drawbacks to having one wall of my shop building as part of the coop? Will the chickens destroy the siding? Also, this is a woodworking shop, so I would be running machines now and then. Would this flip out the birds to have a tablesaw suddenly start screaming on the other side of the wall, or would they just get used to the noise? Am I better off creating large, enclosed space or building smaller structures to place under the existing roof?

Comments? Anything I'm not considering? I can draw a quick sketch, if my description isn't clear.

Last edited:
Quote:
Some breeds are more flighty than others. You may want to look into what breeds are not so jumpy. Im sure most breeds would get used to it.

Good Luck !!

Mine couldn't care less about either the table saw or the chop saw when we were building the coop and the divisions inside their coop, I have Golden Comets which are very calm and Ameraucanas which are pretty much nervous-nellies, and some muttly sorts, none care about machinery except for the car engine which is a good thing IMO! I wouldn't worry about shop tools in the LEAST!

The siding? I'd think they wouldn't bother that either, they focus mostly down, rarely peck at walls, but they could. Is it really really special siding? I sure wouldn't worry about it. Go with what works!

Only flaw I see in your plan is that 8 hens will never be enough, plan on room for MORE!!!
wink.png

I think it sounds perfect! Chances are if they are frightened by the noise, they will just leave the coop and go into the run...Seems like a great setup- remember we love pictures!!

I think it sounds like a GREAT plan!
Chickens are funny about noises. Mine were never afraid of the lawnmower. To the point that sometimes I'm afraid we might have to have fried chicken immediately after I mow the lawn!!! But, they were terrified of the electric weed whacker, which makes half as much noise! Weird ones they are!

However you should plan for more chickens, because they are ADDICTING!

Ah, ok, so it sounds like no major red flags then? Great. Now I can start refining the plan a bit. The part about 8 hens was sort of a joke, right? I mean we will probably average a few more, but I was picturing that 8 would provide about 3-4 eggs a day. Is that wishful thinking for good egg layers?

Quote:
My 4 provide that much when the weather is good, 8 will be PLENTY for just eggs.
Believe me, if 4 did the trick I wouldn't have 4 new pullets expecting to lay this spring, would I??
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png

It's a drug I tell ya!

Ok, thanks! I think I'll get my fix, in terms of numbers, when/if we decide to do the meat birds also. Actually, I was just about to post another question about meat birds, but I believe that is a new topic, so I will start a new thread.

I have my coop attached to my woodshop, for all the reason you mentioned. So far chickens do not mind the running of table saws, shapers, planers. Shop is vinyl siding chickens have not tried to eat it, they do try to eat foam insulation behind it, so cover that. Apart from that all worked out well
39028_newcoop_004.jpg

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for the tip about the insulation.

Back
Top Bottom