Questions about Coop size

MandaRae

For the love of 🐓Chickens & Sunflowers 🌻
5 Years
Jan 3, 2019
Pitt County, North Carolina
So I was thinking about using these really cool pallets that I got that have plywood already attached to them they are about 2 ft wide all sides. My question is if I put two together that would make it about 4 feet long 2 ft wide then I would make an external nest box for the coop. Then I can make it pretty much as high as I want I was thinking 4-5ft tall for the roosting bars. How many chickens do you think I could fit in there if they're just sleeping. They would have a huge run and yard area.

Roosts need 1.5 times height for them to dismount safely, and 14-18” per bird roost space minimum.
4 sqft per bird is still the standard. Even just sleeping inside, the poop load in a small space is too high when crowded. The ammonia rising to get out is concentrated and is terrible for their lungs.
Other things that need to be considered are forced confinement from predators, forcing nest box use, etc.

For snow country, you either need a coop way bigger than the standard minimum of 4 square feet per chicken (so a coop 4x2 feet is the minimum size for 2 chickens, or a perfect size for one brooding hen), or if you are staying with a close to minimum size coop, you need a roofed and wind sheltered run.

The problem is that on snowy nasty windy days the chickens will not want to go outside, and a coop that is close to 4 square feet per chicken will result in chickens pecking at each other, eating eggs, and even eating each other. :oops:

Scrounging for coop materials is a great idea, I built 2 coops and 1 tractor from "trash'.

For snow country, you either need a coop way bigger than the standard minimum of 4 square feet per chicken (so a coop 4x2 feet is the minimum size for 2 chickens, or a perfect size for one brooding hen), or if you are staying with a close to minimum size coop, you need a roofed and wind sheltered run.

The problem is that on snowy nasty windy days the chickens will not want to go outside, and a coop that is close to 4 square feet per chicken will result in chickens pecking at each other, eating eggs, and even eating each other. :oops:

Scrounging for coop materials is a great idea, I built 2 coops and 1 tractor from "trash'.
I am glad I ask because I wasn't thinking in my brain about the wanting to stay inside for winter part. I already have 2 coops but was wanting to combine them for the winter. I can easily double all that to make more room. I was trying to save on some wood. Since it has gotten quite $$$
I am supplementing the wood with pallets too.

I am glad I ask because I wasn't thinking in my brain about the wanting to stay inside for winter part. I already have 2 coops but was wanting to combine them for the winter. I can easily double all that to make more room. I was trying to save on some wood. Since it has gotten quite $$$
I am supplementing the wood with pallets too.
Not sure if it is legal in your area, but so much wood can be found from the construction trash area of the dump.

Back
Top Bottom