Questions about Deworming chickens.

reneebirkett

Hatching
Nov 20, 2015
Hi to everyone out there do you need to hold back the eggs from eating them or is it save to eat them when deworming? I bought this deworm pellets that you mix with 50 pounds of food and I only have 5 chicken so that will last a long time. I have seen the worms in the poop. I have dirt in the spot that is fenced in on the ground does anyone have any idea of what I can use to keep it cleaner or prevent them from getting worms in the future? Natural and herbal remedies are preferred.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Worming regular should keep your worm burden down. Worming your chickens regular should stop the cycle of worms. If they are not pooping them and eggs out they can't then pick them up again for the ground.

To keep your dirt area cleaner you could cover it so it does not get wet and will stay dry. You could then use a bedding or covering of some kind. For example shavings, sand or wood chip. I'm afraid chickens being chickens there will always be some kind of dirt and mess.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Thank you so much for your help but can we eat the eggs when giving them the pellet treatment in the 50 pounds of feed?

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Most wormers have an egg withdrawal period (during which you shouldn't eat the eggs), but I'm not sure if your deworming pellets have such a withdrawal period, or how long it is. Does the bag/container the deworming pellets came in have any instructions?

The only thing it said was to withdraw for3 days prior to slayghtering but I only use my chickens for eggs

You might want to put "worming" in the search box and see what info pops up. I think it's better when you worm birds individually. If it's added to the food some might get a bigger dose and others none at all. It also helps to know what type of worms they have and use the specific wormer for them. If they have a heavy load, herbs and spices and what not, aren't going to be very helpful.

I had used pellet deworming last year and are about to do it again. I didn't see any worms I just notice that my flock is thin and no eggs. And they get fed a lot plus many scraps I have around 30 chickens all together and last year I had more. I forgot how long I with held from eating the eggs. But the eggs I did get I boiled them up and fed them back the birds. No deaths or any other problem with both us and the flock

Back
Top Bottom