Questions About Duck Houses

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
I've decided to just make one.

-making a platform that will be about 4 inches off ground, but no way to get under. Will a ramp be required of should they be able to do 4 inches?

-the floor will be wood. Should I paint that? Should I get some kind of rubber mats/even yoga mats for easier cleaning or will they try to eat that? Should the inside walls be painted or left alone?

-what is better--sloped or slanted roof? Which way would be easier for an access door? Should there be a slight over lap for roof or is that not necessary? I thought about a slanted hinge roof but that would be pointless because of the height and cleaning.

-should access door be on one of the sides for clean up?

I'm thinking 4ft by 4 ft for three ducks. Is that roomy enough?

Thanks for any info.

I've decided to just make one.

-making a platform that will be about 4 inches off ground, but no way to get under. Will a ramp be required of should they be able to do 4 inches?

-the floor will be wood. Should I paint that? Should I get some kind of rubber mats/even yoga mats for easier cleaning or will they try to eat that? Should the inside walls be painted or left alone?

-what is better--sloped or slanted roof? Which way would be easier for an access door? Should there be a slight over lap of us that not necessary? I thought about a slanted hinge roof but that would be pointless because of the height and cleaning.

-should access door be on one of the sides for clean up?

I'm thinking 4ft by 4 ft for three ducks. Is that roomy enough?

Thanks for any info.
I used a old dog house that I built for my ducks house. It is all wood only painted outside with a pitched roof. The door for them to use is a 3' wide door that makes clean up easy and egg gathering easy as well. It has a unpainted wood floor that i cover with pine shavings. This is the one I built and the wood panel to the side is the door I latch in place at night.
41D92101-A2FE-465A-99FA-1A6381087891.jpeg

They can do a four inch step. I haven't posted my duck house build yet, but it is for 4 ducks, about a four foot square with a pallet as the base/floor. It is adequate size. They go in and out on their own. Let me see if I have a pic...
IMG_6192.JPG

One of the roof panels hinges open as well so I can reach in from the top from outside the run to collect eggs instead of crawling in through the run.

This is our house. Both doors open for easy cleaning. There are 2 windows that can close. We added a leanto to put their food and water under. The roof has a slight pitch to it. Right above the blue trim, we installed a gutter guard so they have ventilation at all times.
duck house.jpg

Back
Top Bottom