Questions about eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mother of All, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Songster

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    Found a nest this morning. at least 16 eggs. some chicken and some turkey. they don't fill warm and they don't look like they are developing. The nest can not be older then 9 days old but it has been up in the high 90's here in AL. The question is are the eggs still good to eat or do I throw them? How long can you leave an egg out of the re fridge and still be good. I also ask this for I travel sometimes and people want be to bring they some eggs. it takes a couple of days to save up the amount they want and I also have to carry them so I don't want to re-fridge them. Or while I'm gone for a few days when I get back do I have to throw away all the eggs I gather when I get home or would they still be good? If you could help me with this it would cover many different problems

2. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chirping

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    If it's been 9 days AND it's been in the 90's I would throw them. There is a high possibility a few could have started to grow inside the egg. Usually you wan't to collect the eggs everyday sometime 1-3 times a day depending on how many layers you have and put your eggs in the fridge a.s.ap. to ensure they will stay fresh.

3. Mother of All

Mother of All Songster

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I do collect them daily but when I'm out of town for a few day or if I have to take the eggs on the road I need to know how long they can go with out being re-fridged. I know that wants you put them in the re-fridge you must keep them cool but there is a time frame of how long before you must refrigerate

4. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chirping

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    From what I have learned with all my experience in Chickens and Hatching, You don't have to refigerate them but as long as the temperature they are being stored at goes over 70 degrees. Refrigerating them just keeps them fresher longer. Then if you have a rooster in the flock, then the eggs won't stay fresh as long since they would most likely be fertile and would need to be refrigerated within 5 days of collecting. This is all from my personal experience. I had a few eggs i had collected then had to go into town for an emergency and forgot about them, found them after 8 days and didn't want to risk eating them and opened it and there was a baby forming and the highest temperature was barely 80.

5. Mother of All

Mother of All Songster

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    thank you for the information

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by