Questions about how Hatcheries run, for anyone who knows!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by louchicks, Jun 16, 2011.

1. louchicks

louchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    first of all everyone who reads this thank you for stopping by. I have been thinking this over for years I would like to start a chicken hatchery. I know very well there will be naysayers but I'm just looking for information so please be kind.

I have some questions, if any of you know the answers well its much appreciated.

is it possible to create an incubator room instead of purchasing an incubator? Theoretically you could control the rooms temp at 99.5, right? Wondering if this is common or whati ncubators are used?

Where do all the supplies come from, searching online the chick boxes are very expensive, where do hatcheries find suppliers for less?

How do the chicks go from hatching into the boxes? I dont know why but this part always gets me thinking. Whats the best way to get the chicks into the box? how is it done?

any in and outs of the business you would like to share would be so appreciated. I am not planning on doing this next year or anything but want to really start doing my research. pointing me in the right direction will earn you some karma lol

What are the inspections like? I know they test the eggs and chicks occassionally, what do I have to worry about here?

I'm sure I will think of more questions.

Anyone who knows details of hatcheries please share with the class I know I have always been interested how they work even before wanting to start one.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I cant anwser your questions,
    but I was wondering what will you do with the many roosters you hatch. that may be a problem. [​IMG]

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I don't work at or run a hatchery, but I think they use the big cabinet styled incubators, but, at least in theory, you could do an incubator room, but how would you turn the eggs and keep the moisture levels high enough? Also, you would have to be able to keep the breeds separate for easy packing. I'm pretty sure that actual people pick out the chicks and pack them in the boxes, plus if you sell sexed chicks, you'll need to hire people who can reliably sex chicks, or you'll have to learn to do it yourself. Although if you're planning on a large operation, you'll probably have to still hire people.

Also, like the previous poster said, you'll have to come up with a plan to deal with all the extra roosters you'll have if you sell sexed chicks.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    [[[......Whats the best way to get the chicks into the box? how is it done?......]]]]]]

You pick them up with your hand and gently set them in the box.

They are in trays in the hatcher, and the tray is moved to the brooder and the chicks are set into the brooder by hand. Then the packer comes around with the packing list and places the right number and breed of the chicks into the box.

For birds that are sexed, I've seen them divided into labeled totes. Chicks are shipped the same day that they are hatched. They must be where they can get food and water within 3 days, so they can not be held at the hatchery; they must go right into the mail.

Some of the hatcheries use colored leg bands to keep track of who is who.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by