Questions about incubating Marans eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TennesseeTruly, Oct 5, 2009.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have several dozen Marans eggs. I have Black Copper, French White, Cuckoo, Blue Copper, and Wheaten.

Somewhere I read that Marans like higher humidity but for the life of me I can't find where I read that.

Before I put these in the incubator, are there any tricks to incubating these great eggs?? Thanks in advance!

Laurie

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got cuckoos and Wheatens and I've never treated them any differently than I do my other eggs. I incubate them all together and get good hatches.

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Thanks Katy. I wanted to get them into the incubator in the morning and want to do everything possible to have a successful hatch.

Laurie

4. keithallen1965

keithallen1965 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    I have incubated on one batch so far and had great results.

Started dry no water after one week added a little to get the hummidity up to 30 and let them ride to lock down.

During lock down I raised to 65-70%.

No chicks stuck all hatched with out help.

Take it for what it is worth like I said only the first time. I now have 1 dozen BCM eggs in incubation and 4 Golden COOCOO in lock down due Tuesday we shall see.[​IMG]

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I have just hatched 7 BCM on Friday out of 9 fertile eggs shipped from the East Coast to California......

My incubator is a forced air "Hova Bator". The temperature was a steady 99.5 F (probe in self made wiggler = blown out egg with "Jello" or Gelatin, sealed).

My humidity was always between 35 % and max. 45 % until day 18 on a "Springfield" calibrated hygrometer (not wet bulb hygrometer). Day 18 to 21 the humidity was about 65 %.

I kept both vents open for air circulation day 1 to 18, put one plug back in day 18 to 21.

The eggs were too dark to candle ( I tried anyways, but only found the infertile 10 th one this way ), so it was easy to keep the environment like mentioned above without opening the incubator. Whenever I had to add a little warmed up water to keep the humidity, I did it through a straw (the ones you can bend...) with a syringe, or you can also use a tube from the pet store or medical supply store.

Honestly, I do not know, what I could have done better. They are all so cute. Will post photos when available. Good luck on your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by