Questions about indoor ducks and geese

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I've been researching for some time now on ducks/geese as housepets. I read on the "Goose's Mother and father" website about diapering them and keeping them inside primarily. In my situation the goose or duck would have to live inside and go outside every once in a while like the "appartment goose" she mentions. I have a spare room in my house with no furniture in it at all. What would I need to set up for my goose or duck for when he needs a break from his diaper?

Ducks poop about once every 15 MINUTES! Thats 96 poops each day. They are big sloppy watery poops too. Are you going the change the diaper every 15 minutes for the next 20 years (thats how long a duck can live).

If you are not going to change the diaper constantly that will mean the duck has to sit in its own mess, then when you have to change in next time its going to be really bad.

They are NOT INDOOR PETS despite what some people say. Also keeping one duck is not a good idea. It will be very lonely. They are flock birds and need the company of others of their own species to be really happy.

Besides the poop issue, they are also very messy with their food and water. It will dunk its feed into the water container and then shake its head about and splatter the mixture all over the walls and floor. Then walk about in it, getting it on its feed (and the poop when not wearing the diaper). Then it will trample around your home, go on your sofa, and bed with all their stuff stuck to it.

If you want ducks make they a place in your garden. Both you and the ducks will be much happier.

If you want an indoor bird then think about something like small doves, parakeets or finches - or even a parrot.

There is a wide spectrum of opinion on indoor ducks, as you know.

Considerations for accommodating an indoor waterfowl include a number of jak2002003's concerns. As far as I am aware, indoor duck-keepers only diaper the ducks when they are wandering about the house or visiting in public buildings.

I would want something to protect the floors from moisture. Accidents happen even in the best setups. Perhaps you can nab some scrap vinyl flooring from a local flooring contractor.

Ducks definitely splash, so the food and water station needs to have easily washable and probably three foot high walls around it, and something absorbent like sawdust pellets in a shallow container underneath. I use the bottom of a large plastic dog crate. Works well for us.

Ventilation needs to be good. When I had three-month-old runners (eleven of them) in our guest bedroom, I left the door open but had a sturdy three-part screen (oh, what do you call those tall wooden panels hinged together???) in place of the doorway, so there was good air circulation.

By the way, we never had an odor problem. I was fastidious in cleaning up. Gold star for me
roll.png

(Just needed to mention there can be some work involved, but it was absolutely worth every moment.)

You need bedding, that could be straw, shavings, sawdust pellets... that's a decision process in and of itself.

Think about the pathway into and out of their room, for when they go on walks with you. We were limited by an antique heirloom rug in the living room, so we loaded everyone into "The Limousine" - a large portable wire dog crate lined with plastic poultry fence to keep little heads inside the crate during transport - and carried it outdoors.

Bathtime is important, so working that into your schedule matters.

Those are my initial thoughts. A couple of years ago I think it was, Nettie posted a design for turning a room into a super-duper duck room for her indoor ducks. That may still be in the archives.

Last edited:
I have had a pair of geese indoors all winter because my gander is recovering from reconstructive leg surgery. They live in the spare bedroom. I cover the floor with blankets, use baby throws on top of blankets for them to pile up for their bedding, and place a 1 gallon bucket of water in center, with a large towel underneath. Every day I shake out all bedding outside, then wash in washing machine (2 loads per day). At least once a week, I use a scrub brush to get spots on floor and shampoo floors at least once per month. I also leave the window open, because they are not comfortable in a 70F heated room and they need fresh air, which has driven up my power bill.

I am not a fan of having my geese indoors as it does not allow them to satisfy the innate need to graze/nibble on grass (and everything else they find) and drill holes in ground. Also, they cannot build strong bones and muscles without direct sunshine and sufficient room to exercise. So, weather permitting, I get them outside as much as possible and come springtime, they will again live outside 24/7, as geese are naturally meant to be.

If you are desiring an indoor pet, I can think of much better species than waterfowl.

I keep an indoor duck, diapers and all. She is cuddly, sweet and amazing! She does wear diapers except at night and during bath time until she's completely dry. She has multiple baths a day and requires a lot of attention. I don't recommend getting just one duck unless, like me, you don't work and have the time and patience to care for a diapered duck. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I will be happy to share more resources with you :)

I've only kept 2 birds inside before. In both cases they were special need birds. It's quite a bit of work but I did the best I could for the situation at hand. I chose not to use diapers but instead build a area that they could be confined to. While they were inside I had to change the bedding 4-5 times a day to keep the odor down. It was far from a ideal situation but the birds seemed content. It's certainly not for everyone but I do think it's possible to give the birds a okay life indoors. Nettie's set up for her indoor birds was breath taking. I guarantee her birds were just as happy as any of my outdoor birds.

Back
Top Bottom