Questions about lights

mjdtexan

Songster
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Houston(ish)
I have two lights in my brooder, the red one stays on all of the time for warmth. I turn the white light on when I want to clean out their brooder or if I or someone else wants to observe the chicks. I noticed that when I turn the white light I noticed that the chicks get very active. They run back and forth all the way across the brooder, flap their wings alot, and cheep a whole bunch. Am I cheating them by not leaving the lights on for a few hours a day or should I just do it like I have been doing?

Are they getting any exposure to natural lighting or regular room lights or are they pretty much in the dark except for the red light?
Bright white light on a regular basis can lead to pecking issues.

No, they are not getting any natural light really. I leave the garage door open during the day, its light enough for me to tinker with my chainsaws, lawnmowers, etc during the day but they are in the brooder inside the garage. I have heard of the pecking issue with the white light and thats why I went with the red. I noticed that they will imediatlly (sp?) get a little aggresive toward each other when the white light is on as well.

mjd, something is sticking in the back of my mind about them needing a certain amount of light to grow, but sorry I can't quite remember the details. Maybe someone else will know.
I'd be inclined to use the white light sparingly to avoid the pecking issues.

I've got 10 bantam cochins, 15 days old, and the red light was too warm for them. So they've got a 75 watt lightbulb constantly, day and night. We have had no picking issues, and they're happy, active healthy chicks.

I used a red light AFTER chicks were started in a white one and still had pecking issues!!??I use the red now in the coop for the cold weather, now they sure get lively as soon as the light is on, but they started to work things out now that they live with a 7 month old hen I think they are learning manners if not it's being scared of her that has created a distraction..
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom