Questions about molting

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
Our ducks are now ~2 years old (I think in a week they'll be officially 2). They have never molted before. Not that I have seen. I assumed they didn't molt at all, honestly, because I've never seen it. However, today I went out, put the ducks in, and walked back and found a trail of white feathers and piles of feathers all over the place! It seems our pekin female, Fatty, is molting. I did a quick search and saw that ducks 'should' molt twice a year - yet I've never seen it before.

Our ducks are huge. They're fat and extremely fluffy. Any reason in particular why they haven't molted previously? Is it normal for some ducks not to molt when others don't? I don't see any black feathers from our cayugas (yet). I don't even see anywhere that feathers are missing on the pekin, telling me she is losing layers of underfluff that must've been building up!

No wonder they get so hot. Too much fluff on them.

Do ducks need any dietary needs met when they are molting compared to the rest of the year? And about how long should she be molting?

I wonder how fat she really is... under all that fluff. ;)

Anyway, when I went out there and saw piles of white feathers I panicked, thinking something had gone after the ducks or one of the chickens! We have one rooster who always escapes the fence along with the ducks, and he has some white feathers... but all were there.

Last edited:
My Runners do not follow the guidelines for molting.
lol.png

It could be two years, it could be 13 months, it could be in November, January . . .

Generally the whole process takes 6 weeks or so. I make sure they get a little extra protein treat - I use Eagle Pak dry cat kibble. Just a few nibbles a day for a while.

Back
Top Bottom