Questions about molting.

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
Henry my Leghorn roo is molting BIG TIME! His comb has lost some of it's color, kinda flaky looking. And I noticed today that his poop is a light brownish but does have the white eye. Seems a little runny. Otherwise he is acting perfectly normal in all ways. Onery as ever!

Could all this be due to his molting? Do I need to be worried.

They all have wormer and a varied diet and are on Avian Charge and like I said he is active (very active with his girls!
big_smile.png
) and seems fine except for the comb and runny poo today.

Thanks in advance for any help. This is such a great place to learn!!!

Jacie

I've only had mine for about 10 months and haven't been through a major molt yet but, from what I've read this sounds normal. Hopefully with this bump up you will get an answer from someone more experienced.

thats normal.when a roo or a hen molts they loose some or alot of feathers.an their comb goes from a bright red to a pale red.the molt will last 3 or 4 months.

Quote:

Thanks for the comment. Wow I didn't realize a molt takes so long! That 1/4 of the year each year. But now I won't be so worried. Thanks again.

Jacie

* Start giving him 1 tsp. Ground flaxseed with his food twice a day, make sure he has enough water and grit and I BET his feathers will be in and gorgeous a great deal faster. Keep him out of drafts and dry & warm enough while he's nekked though.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom