Questions about my 4 month old Oreota

Oreota17

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2015
Oregon
My baby chick Oreota is making these high pitch screaming noises and she stands real still looking off somewhere.. Why is she making this noise? Also she'll dig and then lay down and start throwing bedding on herself.. What is she doing?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

The high pitch screaming noises probably mean that something startled her. When my chicks get frightened or see something strange, they stand completely still, stare ahead, and make a whistling, screeching noise.

When she digs down and throws bedding over herself, she's trying to dustbathe. All chickens love bathing in dust or similar material (shavings, food, etc). They toss the material all over and work it into their feathers. It is a normal behavior that helps them stay free of parasites.

Good luck with your chick!

@Wyandottes7 also I'm new to figuring out the breed of chickens so do you know what mine is? She's black with white on her feathers and her chest is mainly all white

Last edited:
Do y'all know what kind of breeds? The person I got her from has never had one like her nor did she know her own chickens breeds

Back
Top Bottom