Questions about my coup...

Quote: They don't need a a wide perch to be stable, since their feet automatically grasp the perch when their legs bend.

It's actually more unnatural for them to sleep on a flat surface
A round perch is what their feet are designed to fit:
http://www.worldmy.info/animals/anatomy-and-physiology-birds.html

Quote:
when-a-bird-perches,-its-ankle-bends-and-contracts-the-tendons-in-its-foot,-forcing-its-foot-to-close-around-the-perch--b-.jpg

They might not use it during the day but their instincts tell them to get up as high as they can when they roost. I would bet that they use it at night :)

Ah yes, sorry forgot to mention it was dark when I was plopping them on the perches. It gets dark around 4:30 here at tho moment!

Just checked back on them by having a look through the vent hatch before going to bed myself (10pm here) and they are both huddled up on the perch :D

Question is, will they jump up there themselves tomorrow?!

Last edited:
Hello guys!

So today before I went to the brewery this morning I opened the coup to the enclosed run, replenished water and food then left them. Got home and they were still happy and headed into the coup. I shut them in and left. When I came back 10 mins later they were sitting on the divider between the roost and the nest box...Grrr. So I raised the perch as suggested and left them. 10 mins later they're still just looking at it :/

So I grabbed the larger hen, called Malt and plonked her on it - she hopped right off. So I put her back on it and sorta made her stay there. She settled down and I came back ten mins later and she was settled right down on the perch! Success! :)

So then I picked up my other hen, called Hops :D and put her on it and she settled right down... Hopefully they have got the idea now!

OMG...I love your chicken names. Cute coop. The chickens will learn eventually where they are supposed to roost.

Also, sorry for writing coup instead of coop all the time! My phone auto corrects it...I guess I write about over throwing small island countries more often than I think!

Also, had to put them on their perches again tonight...they made their own way into the house though so progress I suppose

Back
Top Bottom