Questions about my ducks

Meri Maura

May 2024 bring less misery 🥂
Feb 6, 2021
the BYC underground
My Coop
My Coop
These are my first ducks. I got four, and now I have 2. A Khaki Campbell drake named Khaki and a Mallard duck named Mallery(very creative names). They are about 6 mo. old and are an adorable couple. they have a large trough of water they swim in. I'm in the process of building them and us a pond-like pool(no chemicals). I was wondering when Mallery will start to lay eggs, and if they will have ducklings.

These are my first ducks. I got four, and now I have 2. A Khaki Campbell drake named Khaki and a Mallard duck named Mallery(very creative names). They are about 6 mo. old and are an adorable couple. they have a large trough of water they swim in. I'm in the process of building them and us a pond-like pool(no chemicals). I was wondering when Mallery will start to lay eggs, and if they will have ducklings.
The average time for a duck to lay is around 6 moths...but it can take longer. If you see your drake mating her she is most likely laying eggs that’s at least how I have found out my ducks are laying.

Last edited:
was wondering when Mallery will start to lay eggs,

and if they will have ducklings.

Both questions asked are highly variable and will depend on several factors; six months is a common age for a duck to start going into lay, but oftentimes you may have a duck start laying much later, or much earlier.

There are various signs you can look out for that suggest she is close to laying. The best indicator I have found that the bird is close to laying is simply increased time inside the coop, in an attempt to find a perfect nesting area.

In regards to your latter question, no one here can tell you if they will have ducklings or not - any proposal that they will is a guess at best. Providing a dark, quiet, safe nesting area with adequate amounts of eggs to nest on will increase the likely hood of her going broody.

Back
Top Bottom