Questions about my eggs ?! help please!

lucyz

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Okay, I am VERY excited and impatient when it comes to hatching chicks. This is my first time incubating my own batch (1st time ordered 1 day old chicks, second the mama hatched them ! ) Right now, I have a still air incubator with egg turners.My oldest eggs had been in there 4 days, (on the first day the temp. spiked up to 110! D: ) so, today I took them out (when candeling didn't see any development) and (don't get mad!) cracked them open. In two of the four, there was dots that were red and white (not in the yolk) they were about the size of a full tick ( a little bit smaller, like half the size of a jelly bean) so here comes question numbro 1. Did they start growing, or was it bacteria. 2. how far along were they (if it was a lil' chicky). second question: what should I see on day 3 when candeling, Pictures are GREAT, just send them to my email. And if anyone has a really good effective EASY way to make a candler, could you comment or email me? Thank you soo much for any of your help!
roll.png

first you are going to have to get over the impatience.. for beginners, do not candle before the 10th day.. You killed 2 developing chicks by cracking the shells in your impatience..
that piece of snot looking stuff was the embryo starting.. at four days it would have been about a half inch long..

My real personal feeling is to never candle until the 18th day.. then throw away the clear eggs and put the rest into the hatcher..

learn all you can about your particualar incubator and how to make it run at it's peak performance..

then play around with candling if you must..

The reason I cracked them open was because they had gone up to 110 for 15 hours, so if 2 of them survived that, they must be super chickens... and as for candeling them, I am recording each days findings, the person I am going to be giving some of the chicks too wants her kids to understand how it works.

you did not say how long they were at 110F we are not mind readers.. we are trying to help you.. I did not ask for an attitude.. How is candling them going to show the kids anything if they are not there? It would be just as beneficial to get a chart with the candling already photograhed and show that to the kids and tell them that is where their eggs are at this time..

how do you know that the temp was that high for that long?

18849_img_8751.jpg

Here is a picture of mine on day 3. I always candle on day 3 and any other day I feel like it. I mark each egg with a number or letter so
when I candle I write down # 2 veins , #7 veins and moving ect so I know what eggs are good. I never throw out a egg until day 10.
I use a small size mag lite in the pitch dark at night I spin the egg slowly until I see something or nothing.

Here is a picture on day 8 You can see the chicks eye and small embro

18849_img_9025.jpg

Good luck , keep us posted I'm excited for you.

I'm sorry if you thought I was giving you an attitude, I didn't mean for it to sound rude. And I know it was at that temp for 15 hours because I had just put the chicks in the incubator; then had to leave for the night for a wake. my grandparents were supposed to be watching the tempature and they did...but my grandpa was under the impression they were supposed to be at 110. (he is a bit absent minded -___-).
And thank you Higins00 for the pictures, and idea on how to candle them; very helpful. :) and I will keep you updated on them!

Quote:
Your post was sort of 'attackish'.... Im sure it did make her defensive...

The first time I incubated, my temp was insane - 110 or 120 before Id catch it, then back down to normal... I had the bator in an empty bedroom and the sun was affecting it
sad.png
I put 42 eggs in the incubator and only 9 hatched. But, they definitely survived the crazy temps, so dont write them off for dead!! A momma hen cant control the weather, and we all know the summer can be hot as a mo fo on one day and cool the next, and those eggs still survive! Do have patience
smile.png

The stuff you seen in the egg WAS the growing embryo. In other words,

it was a growing chick. The poster above posted a GREAT picture of an egg

at day three, and an egg at day four should look the same. With all

honasty, even though the temps. were really high for a while, I would have

waited on cracking them. Theres to many stories here where temps. had

spiked, and the chicks actually made it. I know how it

feels though, as I am very impatient myself
smile.png

hugs.gif

Last edited:
Well, I'm not cracking open anymore of them! haha, and I honestly didn't mean to sound rude. I was just scared they were going to explode all over my other babys! D:

Back
Top Bottom