1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Questions About New Additions To My Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mlwascom, Sep 11, 2014.

1. mlwascom

mlwascom In the Brooder

Nov 13, 2013
    I have 22 hens (mostly Barred Rocks and Golden Sex Links) and one rooster that are all approx. 1 1/2 years old. This past June I purchased some Ameraucanas (3 pullets/one roo) a Cream Leg Bar Roo and Pullet and then a broody hen hatched out 3 more pullets.

I have noticed that the "newbies" tend to hang out in two groups; the "Ameraucana gang" and the "Leg Bar/mix gang". Right now they are 13 weeks old. I have noticed that the young roosters seem to really "take care" of their little flocks and give the older hens and rooster a wide berth.

As they continue to mature will the roosters also take to the older hens. I will be "retiring" my older rooster in the next couple of weeks, just keeping the two young roos.

I have never had Ameraucanas or Leg Bars before and they both seem very gentle compared to some of my other chickens.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes the young cockerels will have to mature before the old hens will let them take care of them, but it will happen.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: