Questions about Oat Hay

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by marcim, Jan 25, 2011.

1. marcim

marcim New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    We have the opportunity to get a ton of oat hay for a good price and are wondering if this is a smart thing. I am looking to find out if other folks have used oat hay as feed source with the additional benefit of bedding during the muddy months. Can chickens get the benefit of the whole oat? We're starting an egg business and have 40 layers and need to find ways to cut feed costs. This would be a way to do that, but we're hesitant to buy the hay if it won't significantly cut our feed cost.

Thanks for your help!

2. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

I really wish i could help you, i have read on here where some of the people had chickens get impacted crops from eating hay, i used hay as bedding and never had a problem, so hopefully someone more experienced than me can help you with this.......... and [​IMG]

3. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    You have to weigh the cost verse benifit. I think cost high, benifit low. Unless you have been told otherwise the hay should have been cut in the boot stage. Once it heads out the nutriction value goes down. I can buy hay(any kind) for $3.5 a bale all day long. Oats are 4 to 5 a bushell.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think it's good idea if you can get it for a decent price, I use heavy seeded wheat straw hay, they peck & scratch and it move it around it works just fine. You won't have any problems with the Oats chickens love it and it's a good additive for them.

AL

5. marcim

marcim New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    I see it as getting two jobs done at once. I will have to buy straw for bedding in muddy areas anyway, and I buy oats from the bulk bins at a local supermarket. This way, as long as I provide other feed, this will be a supplement to their feed and create bedding. I guess my questions really is, will they be able to eat the oats as food without the oats themselves being processed (rolled oats). I'm not worried about them eating the straw, as I don't think this is something they would do, given that they have free access to feed and whatever bugs happen to be in the dirt. Thanks for the responses so far!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes 2 birds with one stone, they can eat unprocessed Oat's no problem, they break down fast and are a good energy source.

AL

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    We have the opportunity to get a ton of oat hay

Hay is normally cut BEFORE it seeds, so if it's truly "hay" there should be few if any seeds at all.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by