Questions about Quail and Pheasants as pets.

Quote:
The Chukar will probably kill the quail, not a good species for a mixed aviary.

The Valley Quail are very nervous and flighty, much more so than the Button and the Bobwhite. A lone bird, hand reared could become quite tame (have a friend who did it with a Gambel, bird would perch on his head), but in a group, they are crazy. Need much more room than Buttons as well.

Dan

thank you for the info! really helps me out
smile.png

in that case i won't be getting any partridge until i have another pen built. i am well aware than alley quails need more room than the buttons
lol.png
i couldn't imagine keeping even one in the cage i have the buttons in. i keep my coturnix outside and i am making a nice big flight pen for them. just don't know how i'm going to do the netting, we have foxes that like to come close to the house and i dunno how i would keep them away.

anywho, yes, if you wanted a pet i would go with coturnix. they are cute, friendly and nice little birds. seeing as they would be pets i'm assuming you will be spending a lot of time with them raising them
smile.png
lots of color varieties to choose from!

Man, I would give anything to have a hug amount of space for all kinds of creatures
big_smile.png
I want them all! You guys have helped a lot though.

I got my pheasants as adults. Most are pretty friendly to me. Zorro, my silver male with 4 hens, has gotten a little territorial now that his ladies are laying. They come up for treats and love sweet fruits, like persimmons and red grapes.

I love the elegance of the pheasants. I put a couple ducks in with the silvers (plenty of room for everybody), and the silver ladies are appalled that the lack of manners in the ducks when they eat. It's funny to see the looks the silver ladies give those ducks.

I really enjoy my quail too, but just wanted to make a note about friendly pheasants.

My pheasants also do not tear up their aviary, so I can plant things in there and they seem to enjoy running around. They have turned the larger rose bush into a tree, that they can get under.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom