Questions about raising chicks

Julie C77

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
Mattapoisett Ma
Questions about chicks getting in & out of nest box.

Hi everyone, this year we got a new rooster who is really nice and quite beautiful. I would like to let one of my hens hatch some eggs once she gets broody. In years past I have either bought chicks or started eggs in an incubator and kept the babies separate from the flock until they are older.

Here is my question: Every year at least one of my hens becomes broody but we always collect the eggs. I want to let a hen hatch some eggsbut the problem is that our nest boxes are up off the ground. After the chicks hatch I’m not sure they can safely get to the ground and once they are on the ground I am concerned because I know they won’t be able to get back up into a nest box.

We have 17 hens and one rooster. They have a nice big coop and coop yard area. In the afternoon we let them all out to free range on our farm. I am concerned about the chicks safety getting in and out of the nest box.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with above. Give her a nest box, basket, or other sheltered nest and cage it in to keep it private from the rest of the flock. Then you just have to make sure they have their own chick feed (unmedicated) and water

Here is my question: Every year at least one of my hens becomes broody but we always collect the eggs. I want to let a hen hatch some eggsbut the problem is that our nest boxes are up off the ground.

You could set up a ground-level nestbox in a safe area, and move the hen.
Move her after she goes broody, but before you give her any eggs to hatch.
Give her fake eggs to sit on for a day or two: that way if she paces back and forth trying to go back to the old nest, she won't break the eggs.

Some hens can be moved, and some quit being broody when you try. I can't say which type yours will be.

Or, you could set up a ground-level nest where the chickens can get at it, and put a nice clutch of fake eggs in it, and hope the hen goes broody there. That way you wouldn't have to move her. Just wait until she's broody, then put in real eggs instead of the fake ones.

I made a broody box out of a rabbit hutch. I cut one end out and put a ramp in but I also put a door so I could close it up if need be.
IMG_3761.JPG
IMG_3763.JPG
IMG_3765.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG

Back
Top Bottom