Questions about raising pekin ducklings!

Ica94

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hello!
So I have made a decision to purchase two pekin ducklings to raise and add to the pond behind my house. The pond is very safe (it is surrounded by houses mainly) and has many ducks and one goose that resides there. I haven't purchased the ducklings yet since I am still looking for someone who sells them and ofcourse preparing for their arrival. I am buying two because I know they are a flock animal and need a companion. I have many questions regarding raising them.
1. If I buy ducklings at 2-3 weeks old, will they still need a brooder? I'll be keeping the ducklings in my house until they are bigger to be transferred to he garage, then the pond.
2. Should I still build a house for the ducks to sleep in at night or let them stay in the pond? The gander and ducks are always sleeping at the edge of the pond near my window and seem fine. I don't know if the house will be necessary or not..
3. If anyone has a week to week planner of when to move the ducklings or what to do at certain stages, I would love a copy since I want to make sure they are comfortable and I am giving them a nice shelter.
Thanks for all who reply!
-Monica

Hi,
Because Pekins are White & they cannot fly, they are sure to be prey! Pekins can be set up to live outside after they are 6+ weeks old. Usually by then they have molted their yellow baby duck feathers.

char

Where are you located.
2-3 week old ducklings are messy little beings. You might want to start them in the garage.

Yes, you will want some type of housing to lock them into at night. Lock them there each night and use peas as bribery if needed. My ducks have been going to bed on their own again after a few nights of bringing peas out at bedtime.

Yes you will need a brooder, and make sure to only use unmedicated start an grow for teir feed till they start to molt

Also I would build a duck house just to be safe but chances are they'll actually sleep on the pond part of the night then maneuver themselves to the edge

Before you let ten out make sure their fully feathered :)

Make sure you establish a bond or they won't like you

And just to go somewhere to get them I would check your tractor supply stores in your area they always have something

Last edited:
I live in a residential town home in Orlando, a pond happens to be right behind my house and it is surrounded by other houses as well. There is this white chinese goose that walks around the lake to every house and is nosy haha but it seems pretty safe for ducks to live in

Yes you will need a brooder, and make sure to only use unmedicated start an grow for teir feed till they start to molt

Also I would build a duck house just to be safe but chances are they'll actually sleep on the pond part of the night then maneuver themselves to the edge

Before you let ten out make sure their fully feathered
smile.png

Make sure you establish a bond or they won't like you

And just to go somewhere to get them I would check your tractor supply stores in your area they always have something
Yea I definitely will bond with the little guys before letting them be free in the pond. Are they fully feathered after 6 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom