Questions about rooster breeds?

Fluffychicky

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Sophia, NC
I'm planning my new flock and I'm looking for something pretty and good tempered, I know I really want a salmon faverolle but I need a second roo for my large mixed flock. I'm considering these so far:
Phoenix- they're beautiful but are they good watchers?
Thailand- I heard they're good protectors but how friendly can they be with humans and other chickens?
Jungle fowl- Pretty but I will be free ranging and can't have them all over the place would he be ok with clipped wings?
Danish brown leghorn- I don't know much but they look nice
Jersey giant- heard they had a nice disposition but I'm worried about him trying to mate smaller hens
Cream barbanter- cute!
Spitzhauben- very pretty/unique looking.

What would the back yard chicken community suggest?

I'm planning my new flock and I'm looking for something pretty and good tempered, I know I really want a salmon faverolle but I need a second roo for my large mixed flock. I'm considering these so far:
Phoenix- they're beautiful but are they good watchers?
Thailand- I heard they're good protectors but how friendly can they be with humans and other chickens?
Jungle fowl- Pretty but I will be free ranging and can't have them all over the place would he be ok with clipped wings?
Danish brown leghorn- I don't know much but they look nice
Jersey giant- heard they had a nice disposition but I'm worried about him trying to mate smaller hens
Cream barbanter- cute!
Spitzhauben- very pretty/unique looking.

What would the back yard chicken community suggest?

I would personally go with a Phoenix or some type of leghorn. They're usually rather watchful, and not aggressive around humans. Another breed that I would recommend (I'm not sure whether you've considered it or not) is the Silver Spangled Hamburg. They're beautiful birds that are very protective of their flock. I've read several stories where even the hens attacked predators that were harming other birds.

Back
Top Bottom