Questions about Roosting Pole

chickenvillemom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Hello! I currently have a 2x4 with the edge up (rounded) as a roosting pole. It runs the length of my 8-foot coop. Is this roost wide enough for large breeds? I have Buff Orps, Red Stars, and Jersey Giant mutts (they are not yet full-grown, but I expect they will be large birds). Also, is an 8-foot pole enough space for 8 birds? The mutts are new to my flock, and I've noticed that a couple of them will sometimes stand on the poop board rather than the pole, so now I'm wondering if I need more roosting space (even though there is open space on the pole for them). I tried to search for answers to these questions, but couldn't really find the specific information I'm looking for. Thanks very much for any help you can offer!

Thanks for your reply! I've read that some folks use a 2x4 on its side and some use it flat side up -- our winters are not super cold so I don't think my birds need the larger roosting surface to keep their feet warm, but I just wondered if the edge might be too narrow for some of the breeds I have. One of my Buff Orps is a big girl and she sometimes seems a little unsteady when she's getting on the pole, though I don't think she has ever fallen off. I purchased the coop with the pole already installed, but am thinking I might need to make some changes...

It helps with warmth but chickens don't clasp with their feet like birds do so I think that's another reason for wide side up

Hi I am fairly new too the chickens my mom had them when we were little so im doing my best to research and remember..... I have 26 rhode island reds, and we have a 10Lx8W shed that we have them in with a run, they are about 6 weeks old right now and we haven't got our roost bars up yet so im wondering how many i will need if there 10 feet long for 26 birds, im thinking we are gonna put up 3 staggered. also I do live where the winter temperatures fall into minus 40 celcius and Does anyone have any tips on how many lights or what i can do to keep the coop warm?
Thanks!

About 10 inches per bird standard size, little more for a jersey giant. So you need about 260" of roost length, not everybody gets along, so add about a foot for that-272". Use a 4 inch flat roosting bar, to keep their bodies warm and to provide balance. Try not to stagger at different height as they will all want to be on the tallest. 18 inches from the wall, 12 inches between each one and if you do poop boards no higher than 10' from the bottom of the boards or they will sit under the roost board and get pooped on! Keeping a insulated, ventilated-but draft free coop will keep the girls toasty. In another words, keep the ventilation up high, higher than the roost, you want moisture exchange--a damp coop will cause frost bite. If you heat the coop, they will not get as thick of a under coat of feather--then if the power fails, your in for losing some birds. Search the thread on here from Alaska, and read how they keep them. I have one 40 watt light that's on a timer in my cop--Not for heat but to keep them at 14 hours of light for eggs, my vents were 4 feet above the roosts, because i live in the deep south my current coop is un-insulated. Yes, it's not as cold here--the same principles apply in colder weather. You can give them a coating on wattles,combs of Vaseline to prevent frost bite--I only did on night below 35*F. Remember our grandparents did this long before electric and their birds survived fine. If you have trouble with the birds this winter you may want to consider cold hardy breeds next year like,Ameraucana,Australorp,Brahma,Buckeye,Chantecler(extremely cold hardy),Cochin,Delaware,Dominique
or Dominiker,Faverolles,Jersey Giant, Orpington,Plymouth Rock, Rhode island Reds are cold hardy except their combs.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the information! Guess it's time for me to convince DH that he needs to help me update the coop for my girls (and roo)...
smile.png

I plan to use two natural tree limb roosts about 3" - 4" in diameter and 8' long. I was reading a thread on here a few months back where a BYC member mentioned they ran out of $$ towards the end of coop contruction so instead of buying a second 2x4 to install a second roost, they just used a large tree limb instead...all the chickens preferentially roosted on the tree limb...so that tells me they like them better. Plus, where we live, there are tall, skinny trees everywhere and the best part - they're free.

Back
Top Bottom