Questions about Salpingitis/EYP

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
How do I know if my hen has EYP or Salpingitis? Her poop is normal, and she has a normal appetite, but her distended abdomen is not getting better and is feeling a little harder now. Antibiotics didn't seem to do anything so I have all my hens on probiotics as of now.

She hasn't laid any eggs since all my hens stopped for winter.
Her bumblefoot thankfully is getting better.
Does Salpingitis affect poop or will I not be able to know until she passes?? Please help!

Edit: The vet diagnosed her with a reproductive issue (no fluid found in abdomen) however I really don't know if it really is that, or if she just has a big fat pad?? She is a big chicken (buff cochin) but she isn't obese. I can feel her keel bone just fine.

Last edited:
Most of us never know what was going on for sure unless we can do a necropsy if we lose them. I try to do one on any hen I lose. You can learn a lot.

Most of us never know what was going on for sure unless we can do a necropsy if we lose them. I try to do one on any hen I lose. You can learn a lot.
Ok, got it. So, if she has salphingitis, It doesn't always affect her droppings/ she won't necessarily lay lash egg material?

Back
Top Bottom