Questions about setting fertilized eggs under broody hen

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
We received our fertilized eggs this morning wrapped well, set point side down in an egg carton and the box orientation labeled. We placed them under the hen about 3 hours later. This evening I realized there was a note on the original listing saying to let them sit at room temperature for 24 hours before placing under the hen. How important was that step and should they be ok? The eggs have been under her for about 5 hours now. Thank you!

Broodys are without doubt the best and easiest way of hatching eggs! If they can be hatched they will hatch them! All of my hatches have been done under broody, however some hens are better than others at hatching and mothering. I currently have 8 eggs ‘cooking’ under a pair of broodys! I’ve never had 2 broodys co-hatch before, so we’ll see how that goes, one of the eggs pipped this afternoon:jumpy

Broodys are without doubt the best and easiest way of hatching eggs! If they can be hatched they will hatch them! All of my hatches have been done under broody, however some hens are better than others at hatching and mothering. I currently have 8 eggs ‘cooking’ under a pair of broodys! I’ve never had 2 broodys co-hatch before, so we’ll see how that goes, one of the eggs pipped this afternoon:jumpy
One of my buildings only has 2 nests and just had 3 hens decide to go broody together. One hen took turns where she would spend the day. They just hatched all their charges about a week ago. Actually so many eggs were volunteered that they couldn't cover them all. Every so often I would pull eggs they didn't cover and moved them to the incubator and then when theirs started to hatch, I moved all those left in the nests to the incubator. So for about a week or so I had chicks hatching every day. Then every night or so I put some of the incy chicks with them till now they have 15 chicks between them. I have a few more to give them.
I once had 8 pullets all go broody together in a community nest.

Our second Buff Orpington was on some eggs displaying a similar behavior as our broody did. I was hoping I could split the eggs between them since we are getting into colder weather. But she got up herself and never looked back. Lol

The temperature dropped quickly yesterday but I'm confident it will go back up again (central IL weather fluctuates a lot in the fall). But I still keep second guessing my decision to allow her to hatch. We are not in need of new chicks (though we are super excited about the mix of breeds sent) and already have a home lined up for a few pullets, but I will be really upset if they die from the cold, which I could have prevented.

The waiting and unknowing is going to be excruciating! I keep looking in on her, even before the eggs arrived! I am neurotic in getting her up and moving every 24 hrs. Line everything up for her, dust bath, food, water and treats. And I cannot go in the house until she heads back to her nest because I want to know how much she is eating, drinking and bathing. I think my husband expected this though, apparently I can be neurotic? 🤷 Hahaha

Thanks for all the input, being a first time keeper of broody hen mom is surprisingly hard😂

Our second Buff Orpington was on some eggs displaying a similar behavior as our broody did. I was hoping I could split the eggs between them since we are getting into colder weather. But she got up herself and never looked back. Lol

The temperature dropped quickly yesterday but I'm confident it will go back up again (central IL weather fluctuates a lot in the fall). But I still keep second guessing my decision to allow her to hatch. We are not in need of new chicks (though we are super excited about the mix of breeds sent) and already have a home lined up for a few pullets, but I will be really upset if they die from the cold, which I could have prevented.

The waiting and unknowing is going to be excruciating! I keep looking in on her, even before the eggs arrived! I am neurotic in getting her up and moving every 24 hrs. Line everything up for her, dust bath, food, water and treats. And I cannot go in the house until she heads back to her nest because I want to know how much she is eating, drinking and bathing. I think my husband expected this though, apparently I can be neurotic? 🤷 Hahaha

Thanks for all the input, being a first time keeper of broody hen mom is surprisingly hard😂
It is not hard at all. They do all the work. You don't have to worry about temperature, They will maintain the proper temperature. You don't have to worry about food and water. They will find it in their own time. They know more about this innately than we ever will. Normally, once a hen goes broody, I put her in her own unit alone. I put food and water in the apartment and ignore her for 3 weeks.
They won't starve themselves. If they did, chickens would have become extinct centuries ago.
My advice is to not force them to eat and drink on your schedule. They have a plan. I encourage you to let them work their plan. If they get disturbed outside of their schedule often enough, they may just give up. You don't want that.

Back
Top Bottom