Questions about Sexing a Blue Peafowl at 4-5 weeks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by cielo, Aug 24, 2011.

1. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Hi there. I am thinking about purchasing a young peachick or two. I found an add for young peachicks, they are around 5 weeks. Is it possible to sex a peachick at this age? I already have two older peahens that I was given and for that reason I am looking to raise up a peacock. I have read that they can possibly be sexed by comparison of their flight feathers? The peacocks are usually more red? I would be grateful for any information or tips that y'all might have. Thank you very much.

2. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi cielo,
    Male peachicks have more orange primary flight feathers and barred back feathers. Female peachicks have brown primary flight feathers and plain brown back feathers.

I would like photoes of opened wings of both 5-weeks old male peachick and 4-weeks-old male peachick, please.

Clinton.

Quote:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Thank you for the info Clinton, that is helpful! If I end up getting the birds I will take and send you the photos you requested.
    -Cielo

4. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi cielo,
    When you meet the person that sell peachicks to you...Please can you ask him/her about date of birth of your peachicks..."Seller, when the peachicks were hatched...date of birth" ???"

Clinton

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by