Questions about Silkies :)

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
I would have never put it that way but
hu.gif

lau.gif
I have 13 silly little monsters. They're still young (about 3 months) so they're still getting their own personalities. I didn't know the ramp thing but mine have gotten the hang of it pretty well. They all stick together like one big fluffy pile but I have a few who are a bit more assertive than the others.
Funny story: One of them got out of the run (the wire holes were too big) and he sniffed around for a few minutes until he realized he was out in the big area by himself and practically flew back through the wire. I thought his poor fluffy butt was gonna get stuck. Funniest thing I'd seen all week!
gig.gif

Quote:
My silkies tend to bully the larger chickens. My poor VERY large barred rock rooster was terribly bullied by a snotty little silkie rooster. One f my smallest silkei hens absolutely rules the coop with an iron wing.

Now, if all your other birds are the same breed and variety (colour), there is a chance that they will turn on a new arrival that looks different. Chickens raised in apartheid tend to discriminate. Chickens raised in a multi-breed/variety environment are more tolerant of differences.

Keep the new birds separated from the currrent ones so that they can see and hear and get used to each other before turning them loose together for at least a couple of days, and when you do put them together, keep a close watch and give the smaller birds escape routes.. This is AFTER you quarantine new birds.

Back
Top Bottom