Questions about surviving coccidiosis and health of a Chicken.

Amberlovinlife

Hatching
Oct 10, 2023
First let me say….
“Thank you All!!!”
I have been using this forum since I found it well over a year ago. You all have saved me and my chickens so much stress and heartache with your questions, comments and suggestions. I have decided it’s finally my turn to become a part of this community.

I have 6 laying hens. My oldest hen is im pretty sure a golden comet that I received from a friend 3 years ago. She is the smallest of the crew and she is the top hen. My other 5 hens came from Tractor Supply. Heres the time line of my question.
~September 21-23rd = I noticed that Chick chick had dark liquid poops around her sleeping purch. We live in FL so I put it off to heavy drinking because of the heat. And randomly I would see her in the middle of the yard with her eyes closed again blamed the heat.
~9/24= I noticed Chick chick just standing at the water dish with her eyes closed. Started really paying attention. She was not acting normal. Standing around sleeping everywhere. So I got the med bed ready because something was off. When I picked up my girl she weighed less than a pound 😰. I mean I weighed her on an herb scale in the kitchen less than 16 ounces. Offered everything and anything to eat and she would but my goodness she would poop straight water and it smelled 🤢🤮🤢🤮.
~9/25= Not getting better. I start digging in with my research. I started to think maybe she had worms. So I gave her and the other hens a dose of ivermectin pour on. I kept her in the med bed and waited.
~9/29= four days had passed and she seem to be getting worse still to the point where she wouldn’t drink only munch a very little bit but she stayed asleep 99% of the time and I said to my husband it’s not worms and if I don’t figure out what it is I’m going to lose her She is the most docile of all of my hands and the grandbabies absolutely adore her. I researched for hours. But it seem like the only thing that she had the most symptoms alike with was coccidiosis, but she never had any bloody poop so I kept telling myself it can’t be that. I ran across a YouTube video from a gentleman who said it doesn’t always have to be blood in the poop to be coccidiosis, and I swear a light went off in my brain. It was 630 at night and I ran to tractor supply and got some corid corid. I came home. I dozed her with the drench and everybody else got it mixed with water. (it occurred to me that she was the only hen I did not get from tractor supply, so she probably had not been vaccinated for it and that’s why nobody else had any signs or symptoms.)
~ 9/29-10/2 = she received two doses a day for the first three days and one dose a day for the next two days equaling five days total. every day she got a little better a little less diarrhea a little more eating a little more awake time.
~10/3 - Today = Everyday she puts on a little more weight and she gets outside time with the other girls but supervised because these dinosaurs have no manners 🤣. However, she is getting tremendously better. My only concern is when she falls down she cannot get back up and I started thinking maybe it took me too long to figure out what was wrong with her and now she’ll never be able to be a backyard chicken again she’ll have to be an indoor chicken, another thing My Husband pointed out this morning during his supervised outside babysitting. She has no leg muscles anymore or muscles in general from being absolutely depleted from the coccidiosis. I’ll make sure she has a large option of stuff to snack on high in protein lots of vitamins, but she doesn’t seem to want to drink any fluids to the point that she almost chokes eating stuff because she won’t freaking drink anything and I started forcing fluids on her because I was concerned but then I started to notice last night. She does take small sips here and there.

I apologize for the very long essay. I just wanted to give everybody a informative background.

My question is…
Why would she all of a sudden not want to drink fluids anymore?
And how do I get her muscles built back up?

Secondly…I wanted to share my oldest laying hen 3 years old, did in fact have Coccidiosis (in my opinion, not verified by a vet) and she did not have any blood in her diarrhea. Just in case someone else need’s this reassurance.

Attachments

• IMG_3187.jpeg
    IMG_3187.jpeg
    710.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0998.jpeg
    IMG_0998.jpeg
    745.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1001.jpeg
    IMG_1001.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 2
What protein content is in the feed you're feeding?

When chickens feel terrible, they don't always eat, or drink as much as they should, & need extra help. A wet mash(Wet Feed) will feed help them eat, & drink at the same time.

TSC chicks aren't Vaccinated.

What protein content is in the feed you're feeding?

When chickens feel terrible, they don't always eat, or drink as much as they should, & need extra help. A wet mash(Wet Feed) will feed help them eat, & drink at the same time.

TSC chicks aren't Vaccinated.
I am feeding them feather fixer which is high in protein. They get fermented feed once a day including the inside hen. I also add Poultry Cell to the fermented just to try and boost up vitamins since Corid treatment. And thank you for the heads up on Tractor Supply chicks, good to know

Back
Top Bottom