Questions about vaccines

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I’m just getting started with new chickens and I’m planning on selling chicks. I was wondering if any vaccines were worth getting if I’m not going to be selling a large amount of chicks. I’m planning on having around 50 adult breeders but probably won’t be hatching but around 80 chicks at a time each month because that’s all my incubators can hold and that’s a maybe. I see some vaccines come in 1,000 to 10,000 doses, can you put the leftover vaccines in the fridge or something? Will they stay good or do you have to toss the rest after one round of vaccines?

Last edited:
If I was getting chicks from a hatchery Mareks vaccine and coccidiosis vaccine are available for a small extra charge. I always get Mareks vaccine when available, and would probably get the coccidiosis vaccine nowadays. I probably would not bother with vaccines at all if I had to buy them and give them at home. Those 2 vaccines are better given when first hatched, and probably better vaccines than what we cannget online shipped to us. There are other vaccines, such as MG, Newcastles-infectious bronchitis, and fowl pox vaccines, and those are not usually offered at hatcheries since they may be given at later times or certain ages. Those are usually given on farms where those diseases may be a problem. Most feed store chicks are not vaccinated for anything.

Last edited:
If I was getting chicks from a hatchery Mareks vaccine and coccidiosis vaccine are available for a small extra charge. I always get Mareks vaccine when available, and would probably get the coccidiosis vaccine nowadays. I probably would not bother with vaccines at all if I had to buy them and give them at home. Those 2 vaccines are better given when first hatched, and probably better vaccines than what we cannget online shipped to us. There are other vaccines, such as MG, Newcastles-infectious bronchitis, and fowl pox vaccines, and those are not usually offered at hatcheries since they may be given at later times or certain ages. Those are usually given on farms where those diseases may be a problem. Most feed store chicks are not vaccinated for anything.
Thanks for you info. I guess I won’t really worry about it then. Do they offer vaccines for prevention of coccidiosis to backyard breeders? I actually have problems with coccidiosis in my flock occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom