Questions about wire for coops

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I suddenly realized this weekend that somehow I have four coops. Worse yet, I need at least two more!! How did this happen?

I want to use the resources I have on hand to build, rather than buy more, so I'd like opinions on whether these items can be used to build a strong safe coop/tractor that can withstand the attentions of dogs, coyotes, owls, eagles, raccoons etc:

2x4 wire garden fencing, uncoated
1 inch deer netting
1/2 or 1/4 inch bird netting

I'm thinking combinations of the above, but I want to have some confidence that I'll come home and find the chickens where I left them, rather than unassembled versions of said chickens.

I have heavy used decking wood that I can use to make the coop/tractor so the frame and base will be heavy, if that helps.

Thanks for some tips!

We are just about finished with our chicken tractor....although it came with chicken wire, we added 1/2" hardware cloth to it. Not only do we have bird dogs (hopefully trainable when it comes to chickens), but we are very rural and have possums, weasels, racoons and coyotes. We hope that the addition will keep our girls safe.
Hardware cloth is not inexpensive, but it is very sturdy.
We are going to make one more coop for the meat chickens and we will add the hardware cloth to that too.
Good luck with the new coop! I hope your choice of wire works.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom