Questions after my first (very unexpected) butchering

lemurchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Corvallis, OR
So I just had to kill my sweet Barred Rock, Ethel, after she showed up with major wounds. I'm pretty sure one of my dogs did it (totally my fault, I knew they'd been overly interested in her in particular). But I decided her death would not be for nothing and decided to butcher her for the meat.

So first I gave her 12 ml of scotch via syringe down her throat (I thought that I'd rather be drunk and unaware if someone was going to slit my throat). Then cut both carotid arteries and sat with her while she died, she was pretty quiet throughout. I then skinned and gutted her. It was definitely the right choice to end it, as she was very badly injured.

Now my questions, she has some fairly extensive bruising from some of the bite wounds. Will this ruin the meat? Also her crop was torn (I don't know if I did it or the dogs), would this contaminate the meat? I washed the carcass well, but since I wasn't prepared to do it, I don't know I did it in the best way. I don't know how long she was injured for (with lots of open wounds) but it wasn't more than 5 hours.

I think the bite wounds should be ok but i would wash and rinse them well just in case, about the crop ! no a cut/slice will not harm anything it is just undigested food and is not in any way contaminated. by the way sorry about the way it all happened, I am glad to see that you are both compassionate and practical.

AL

Do chickens get drunk?
I would bet that the liquor would flavor the meat.

Would you be able to tell if the wounds were infected? If they were would the meat be okay to eat ( safety and taste)?

Lemurchaser, I had to dispatch a badly wounded hen not too long ago, too. I did the brain stick, she was so hurt she didn't resist at all, and it was very quickly over. I dressed mine out, too, I don't like to waste meat either. It's a hard thing to do. But kudos to you, ending her suffering quickly, and for making good use of her body.

Bruising won't affect edibility, and if you soak the meat in a brine solution, it'll draw out most remaining blood, and clean anything you may have missed out of the wounds. You can always trim out any bit that looks suspicious before cooking. Unless this was a very young hen, I'd advise crock pot, or slow simmer for a long time, to cook the meat.

Carress, the liquor wouldn't have had time to permeate her muscles. It was just a quick anesthetic. I doubt if it would flavor the meat anyway, it would be metabolized by the time it got that far.

It doesn't sound like there would have been time for an infection to start either. With some rare exceptions, those usually take longer than a few hours.

I don't know if the alcohol beforehand helped at all, especially since I think her crop was torn (may have leaked out). She was pretty much in shock anyway. It only had about 15minutes to take effect (I dosed her and then gathered everything together which took a while).

I think I'll probably use the crockpot and the brine soaking is a great idea. That will cover up any imperfections.

I just feel so bad about it, mainly because I should have known better. I let her down and lost one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom