QUESTIONS again :-)

lisaleedy

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
va
we finally got our coop finished ibside however only two will go up ramp inside on their own the others want to huddle up on the ground where i had them for three weeks while building top of coop.
i keep the door open all day as option to explore but like i said only two will and they wont go up if the others :-/
twice now i have had to litterally pick them up and place them in the coop and shut the little door or they would just go back down.
how am i going to get them used to going in at night? right now i only keep water in coop so have something to bring them down.. guess i should limmit free food after 5 si i can con them in to going to the coop for some??

i want to free range them but unsure i feel i need a nuursery set up untill they are much bigger they are only five weeks right now still peeping.. except i havr begun to hear a griwling sound and one making a roosting clucking sound. i heard it before from adult chickens.

Basically, just continue to put them in the coop, and eventually they should catch on that that's where they are supposed to go at night. Just every evening, at the same time, put them in there. They should catch on. That's how we trained ours.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I can't find a way to start a new thread!

We currently have 2 gingers left from our flock from last year and have just bought 2 hybrids and 2 silkies - a mother and a chick at 10 weeks.

At the moment, the gingers are free range and the 2 hybrids (bought together) and the silkies are in separate pens. We are getting a new run to house them together at some point and I was wondering:

Would it be better to introduce the silkies to the gingers in the big pen first, before the two new hybrids? Will this be better for the silkies in the pecking order?

Or, the silkies to the new hybrids first and then bring the gingers in?

Or, should I just keep the silkies in a pen within the new pen until the chick is bigger, to allow the bigger ones to get used to them?

Or, keep the silkies in a own within the pen period?

Many thanks and sorry for all of the questions - I don't want to send my beautiful silkies to their deaths with the bigger birds!

Sorry to hijack this thread but I can't find a way to start a new thread!

We currently have 2 gingers left from our flock from last year and have just bought 2 hybrids and 2 silkies - a mother and a chick at 10 weeks.

At the moment, the gingers are free range and the 2 hybrids (bought together) and the silkies are in separate pens. We are getting a new run to house them together at some point and I was wondering:

Would it be better to introduce the silkies to the gingers in the big pen first, before the two new hybrids? Will this be better for the silkies in the pecking order?

Or, the silkies to the new hybrids first and then bring the gingers in?

Or, should I just keep the silkies in a pen within the new pen until the chick is bigger, to allow the bigger ones to get used to them?

Or, keep the silkies in a own within the pen period?

Many thanks and sorry for all of the questions - I don't want to send my beautiful silkies to their deaths with the bigger birds!
There's a button at the top and the bottom of the posts on every page that says 'Start a New Thread' right next to the 'Post a Reply' buttons.

I can't see any on my mobile, but it all displays fine on the iPad. Thanks anyway!

i jump through hoops to find it and i think the only way to post new is when you jo to *forums then * on your left side theres a square with an arrow curved click it and it will then say *start a new thread.. but unfortunatly it wont do that if your already in a thread.

i went out this morning about one-ish to see if chicks had found the way down from coop... nooooo so i got bread.. they love it! thay came a running to get it so i let them eat some close to the opening.. not intending that they kinda fell out onto the ramp.. but when they seen out the hole the one on the grounf eating they began to come down. then about 6pm i wrnt to see if i could get them inside with bread while they were moble but they made it up and eere ready to roost. my lookinh in must have disturbed threm because then they went to eating.

i also had to water garden had girls outside and they must have been intreaged eith all the goings on and came out of the coop then i could not get them all up again they came up then back down. i gave up.. im not going to crawl under coop again to put them up.. they can just stay out if thats what they want.. they still have access to coop and is safe in the pen.:-[:-/

apprarently im mothering them too much. i had a look once more about 12:30 and they had moved up inside. i looked outside and they were still not up. its about 8:45 i feed horses snd dogs about that time after my girls eat. so figured id look in and arouse them up a little. they still didnt come down till around 10:00

Back
Top Bottom