Questions for New Hampshire owners

bigclucker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
I've got a chance to pick up 3 nice NH to add to my flock tomorrow. I've got 12 RIR and BA co-mingling, and I've made an area I can keep the new birds separated for awhile. They're all going to be about the same age (20-30 wks).

Anything that would be helpful to know about the NH? Any reason they shouldn't integrate well with the others? I'm still new to this, and my 12 hens are doing real well, laying consistently even though it is cold here.

Basically, any and all advice, no matter how obvious you think it might be, is welcomed.

I can't help you, but if you post in the breeds/genetics area, you might have some feedback.
smile.png

My New Hampshire (now deceased) was the sweetest bird ever. She and her "sister" strayed into our yard and stayed, thus making us chicken owners. She was the chief cluck and she took care of her sister, who is a partridge rock. She used to hate it when squirrels would get in her run and she would chase them out. She fought off a possum but eventually died from an injury it left her with. From my experience I think your NH's will be even tempered birds and will integrate well. She was also a good layer. Good luck! I bet you will do fine!

The New Hampshires seemed pretty good tempered and I have them separated from the others. At the time I bought them, I ended up getting 3 Dominiques and 1 Easter Egger as well. The Dominickers were in small cages, they're only about 20-22 weeks I'd say, seemed pretty happy to get a big 'play' area, as did the NH. The Easter Egger looks to be about 6 wks older, wants to be #1 and is already talking trash to the RIR #1 on the other side of the fence. My BAs seem to care less about the whole situation.

I got my first NH last spring from Orscheln's. Her name is Grace, and she's proven herself to be an inquisitive, calm, nice bird who lays well. I'd have more of them.

My New Hampshire is sweet as can be to people, but she is top bird, and enforces it to the point of drawing blood on my newly introduced mostly grown bantams. I'd actually originally bought her as a companion to the Buff Orp pullet chick I'd bought since it was the last one. I actually like her better! She is a great big brown egg layer, my son who is almost four can pick her up and carry her around the yard, and she doesn't peck at him or me at all. Any how, I'm selling her and 2 of my other 'top hens' since I'm switching to all bantams. I'm keeping my barred rock who is a little more tolerant of the little ones. If I had all heavy breeds, I'd pick New Hampshires and Barred Rocks, for certain for their calm temperments, child friendliness, and great egglaying abilities.

My NHR pullet, Copper, is the enforcer of the flock. She keeps the dog and the cats under control and is the first in line for treats. Like someone said before, she's a curious little girl, always wants to see what's going on. Of my six, she's one of my favorites.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom