Questions for owners of open air coops

Maqui

Chirping
Oct 20, 2016
  1. I'm building an 8x8 "Martin Colony House" from PT Woods "Fresh Air Poultry Houses". Since the Martin house was originally 8' deep and 12' wide, I thought it would work for an 8' wide.
  2. I live in the Northeast, central NH where winters can get below zero

3. Are there any of you out there with this style that can report on how it has worked for you?

The south wall is open window, there are smaller windows on the west and east, and my north side will be solid wall and were my roost will be. Are those side windows supposed to be fixed or can they be operable?

Do you have ventilation other than those front windows? The person who helped me yesterday thought the eaves on the front and back should be left open? The front is 7', back is 5.5'. My interpretation of the book is the only opening is that south facing window, the rest of the building is closed and draft free.

Do you close off the front in the winter? Of course there would need to be other ventilation in this case.
    Is there a problem with rain going in?

Thanks for any replies!
    MaryAnn

OOPS - Sorry, somehow this thread when into the wrong forum. Sorry. I don't see an option to delete it.

Back
Top Bottom