Questions for the DH...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bbRedMom, Sep 29, 2008.

1. bbRedMom

bbRedMom Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    My husband is finally warming up to this whole country living thing. In fact in ways he is more protective of the animals than I am!

However, we have reached an impasse, and I need ya'll help to convince him. Or to prove me wrong, either way.

I have a small flock. 3 cockerels, 2 pullets, a hen (2-3 yrs) and an old hen, age unknown. I would like to get 3-4 more pullets/hens. I know I have too many boys to girls.

I've told DH that to ensure we get eggs/chicks, the ratio b:g needs to be at least 1:2, if not more. I'd like to get more now, he wants to wait until spring when we might have chicks. I then said we wont have chicks if he have too many roos.

What do ya'll think? Should I get hens now, so they can get used to each other over the winter, or wait until spring. I dont want chicks because I have trouble getting rid of roos. I'm a softy, I know.

Thanks!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I believe the ratio of roos/hens should be more like 1/10. If you have too many roos, they will fight each other for the girls and the girls will end up overmated which isn't great for them.

3. illinichick

illinichick Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    You definitely need to get rid of two roosters. I have 2 for 30 hens and that's one too many! Give the roosters away or put them in your crockpot, they make great chicken and noodles!
    Your hens will thank you also!!!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Agreed...I have roos coming out my ears as well...eggbid here I come!!! [​IMG]

5. pixiechic

pixiechic Songster

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    I agree - you definitely have too many roos. For 3 cockerels you could easily add another 20+ pullets to your group.

We have an awful ratio -- 9 girls and 6 boys -- and the chicken pen was in freakin' chaos until we segregated two of the boys. There's still some posturing, but it's a whole lot quieter, and at least they aren't tag-teaming the poor girls any more. I suspect we'll need to pull out at least one more roo, but we'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by