Questions for the owners of: Black jersey Giant roosters, light brahma roosters and those who own both together!

sbutler12025

Chirping
May 28, 2021
Hey all. I have multiple questions! Not all are related to each other.

My first question: I have a sweet Black Jersey Giant rooster (14-15 weeks old) he's a sweet gentle boy so far and I'm hoping he stays that way but I have noticed that he lays down A LOT. He'll wander for a few minutes and then flop down. Sometimes even lays down to drink. Other than that he acts normal. Eats, drinks, comes when he's called, roosts and runs/jumps around when he feels like it. Is this normal behavior for a jersey Giant rooster? He's also quite clumsy, I watched him slip and fall down the ramp to the coop this morning (don't worry he's fine! And I'll be modifying the ramp AGAIN this afternoon to attempt to prevent this in the future) Is this all just due to him being a large breed? My JG pullets and my Brahmas are all quite large and don't act like him. Also, how likely is it that my sweet boy will continue to be a sweet boy?

And here's my next question: I have three Light brahmas (14 weeks old) One is a pullet, one was an obvious roo from day 1(Titan) and the third (PennyRoo) only just started to develope his comb and saddle feathers two weeks ago. Now Titan is a shy but not aggressive boy who kind of sticks to himself whereas PennyRoo (my favorite of all of my chickens!) Has always been extremely mischievous, curious and incredibly sweet and loving. How likely is it that my sweet PennyRoo will keep this sweet nature as he ages? My flock consists of many breeds of pullets and have multiple breeds of roos (currently about 5-6 roos), too many for my flock and ill have to make the hard choices of who is staying and who isn't before issues arise. I am leaning towards keeping my black jersey Giant and my PennyRoo and praying they continue to get along. When does aggression typically start to show itself in light Brahmas and jersey giants?

Thank you for reading through all that! Here's a few pictures of my sweet boys
IMG_20210713_192239647.jpg
IMG_20210706_185122782_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20210706_184927579_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210706_184918258_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210713_191749069.jpg
IMG_20210713_191659433_HDR.jpg

Did you check the bottom of his feet to see if there was anything amiss ?
Yes! I've checked him top to bottom, he acts normal and is super friendly. No feet issues, no crop issues comb is bright feathers are shiny. He eats and drinks and mingles with the others. Just seems to be quite lazy... I also noticed he doesn't hold his tail up high like the other roosters. Though maybe that's normal, I've never had a JG rooster. Maybe these are just JG traits? Or could it be an underlying health concerns. He's my sweet boy, he just started attempting a cute little clumsy dance for the girls yesterday. He's such a good boy I'd hate to think anything might be off with him..
This is how he spends probably 75% of his time:
IMG_20210722_200941119_HDR.jpg

Here's his normal stance when he's up and about:
received_177082801082297.jpeg

And here he is trying to see what I'm saying about him 🤣
IMG_20210722_201240865.jpg

Back
Top Bottom