Questions on Entry Form...

coltsrox

Songster
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Maggie Valley, NC
I was thinking about filoing out a entry form and it said

"Please designate type of comb or non-bearded,etc. When applicable.*" and then later

"* Not all poultry have different combs within their breeds or are bearded or are non-bearded. The breeds, which must be indicated on entry, are listed below. Abreeviations such as S.C. for single comb, or N.B. for non-bearded may be used.....

Single comb
RIR,Dorings, leghorns,, Anconas,,minocas

Bearded or Non Bearded
Polish,silkies, bOOTED bANTAMS(refered to as D'Uccle when bearded)"

i must admit i am sooo confused! I have a bantam barred rock hen and rooster which i plan to enter them both,what does this mean?
also i was wondering they said i would have to leave them there for a week overnight.... in their cages? and then do i get to feed them? or somebody else? i don't like anybody else touching my babies unless i am there. does this also mean people can take them out and hold them?

akright first thing u need to know is there is 4 classes under a year old is cockeral and pullet and over a year is hen and cock. sounds like ur's is the same way as the one i just filled out for NY, my last one we had to place them in dept and such also.

from what u wrote u'd need one line:

bantam, S.C. barred rock hen

bantam, S.C. barred rock cockeral or cock which ever one it is by age.

barred rocks only come in single comb and N.B. i believe so it doesn't need that listed as those r the only acceptable beard and comb for that breed.

yes u would have to leave them there for a whole week if u pull them before released from show u forfit anything they win. if u pay an entry fee that covers cost of food and water unless premium book says differently. most shows they have someone there hired to do it who is suppost to go around several times a day to feed and water, usually a vet is through once a day to check animals also for sickness. no birds r not to be removed from cages by anyone except owners, judges or superintendants or sometimes caretakers or state vet if a bird is injured or sick to issolate them in another cage alone.

alright i must admit i am sooo confused! my babies are 7 months old? so... if u wouldnt mind explaining sorry! would i feed my own chickens? why can't i feed them? i have oyster shells, grit, and layena to give them..will they collect the eggs or me? she has been laying a bit. should/could i visit them every day the fair is about a half hour away.

Last edited:
since ur's r 7mths old they would be listed as cockeral and pullet. no a person hired by them should be feeding all the birds however some shows do allow u to bring special feed to feed only ur birds, some do allow u to feed ur own birds. that is up to the superintendant in charge of show.

usually the person hired to feed them is allowed to save all eggs if they want or they r all thrown away otherwise the birds eat them or step on them and make a mess everywhere. usually they don't lay right due to stress of shows anyway so only last few days they lay and most don't at all.

people drop them off and come back to check on them on show day to see how they do. most never come except to pick up checks and birds at end. i always check on mine everyday all the time cuz people can be ignorant with teaseing them and such but i work there so it doesn't matter. only 2 families come once a day to check on them.

they will be 11 months old at the time, is it the same? how many times do they judge them? is there so much stress the could die? will they give me the eggs?also i was told to give them pedolyte instead of water, is this true? and if so where can i get it?

Last edited:
I wish I had some answers for you. We've only been involved with 4-H shows so i'm not familiar with others. I can help for sure in one area - don't forget to breath
wink.png
Best of luck with the show.

At our fair you:
a) Have the chickens blood tested at the door.
b) Leave them there the entire time.
c) Let the fair take care of feed & water.
d) Let the fair take up any eggs which are then donated to charity (Rescue Mission for our fair).

The you quarentine any birds you bring home just to make sure they don't bring home any illness. 2-4 weeks for quarantine.

wegotchickens, i only have 2 can they be put back in their hutch?or should i get something else for that time period.also will they be caring sicknesses?

If you only have 2 chickens then don't worry about quarantine.
And they may be just fine. But just in case, quarantine is recommended for ANY new chicken or any coming back from a show. Since I have more, I'll quarantine mine. The guy feeding the peeps at our show said I should treat them for mites after the fair also, just in case....

Back
Top Bottom