Questions on Fowl Pox

grnidone

Songster
7 Years
Jul 9, 2016
Russell, Kansas

This is the best picture I could get of the issue. I thought maybe this was injuries from my Roo. Now, I'm wondering if it is Fowl pox. My Roo had some spots on his comb, but they are gone now. Each bird has spots like this.

1. What do you think it is?

2. I don't know if my chickens have been inoculated with Fowl pox meds (I go them from a hatchery, so I'm thinking they were). Should I go ahead and inoculate them?

3. Will it hurt them if I inoculate them if they have already been inoculated?

4. Is Fowl Pox the same thing as "Chicken Pox" in humans? Is it possible to transmit this disease from chicken to my 2 month niece who is too young to get a shot?

5. If this is fowl pox, will inoculation actually do any good?

1. Looks like a pecking or other injury.
2. Vaccinations in chickens do not work like they do in mammals. Poultry vaccines suppress the expression of symptoms, they don't actually prevent a bird from contracting the illness.
3. Very little point in vaccinating. There are several types of fowl pox.
4. It is not the same thing as chicken pox. Only birds can contract fowl pox.
5. If you do have an outbreak in your flock, you can safely vaccinate the birds that aren't showing symptoms. But be aware that the vaccine is only really effective for dry pox. It does little to prevent the other types. Birds that have had fowl pox may develop outbreaks when stressed or otherwise weakened.

Fowl pox is most commonly spread from bird to bird via mosquitoes. Mosquito management is the most effective method of protecting your flock from fowl pox.

Back
Top Bottom