Questions on Goat Breeding

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Love my Critters!, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    A little history... I was raised with nubians and pygmy goats. We had our own bucks and my dad was the one that would put certain bucks with the does to breed. I was always there to "help" with the births and the bottlefeeding, I just don't remember much about the actual breeding part.
    Now, I have 2 nigerion does that are papered and they are almost 2 years old. The two I have are half sisters. I want to breed my does just for the pleasure of having the kids. Once I find a buck, should I bring him to my house or should I take my doe to him? My does also do not have horns, they were debudded. I do not want them to be put in harms way.
    How do I know the best time to breed them as far as their heat cycle goes?
    Will my girls go into heat around the same time because they have been together their whole life or does it just depend individually? If possible I would like to only have to pay 1 stud fee for the buck.

Any advice would be much appreciated. THANKS!

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I took my doe to the buck because that's what I was comfortable doing. I think that's up to you. I counted 18 days from Daisy's last day of her heat cycle and then took her to be with the buck for a week to be bred. It obviously worked because she's bred. Not all does are easy to tell if they're in heat though. They can have silent heats. Here are some signs of when they're in heat http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/breeding.htm#heatsigns Your girls might go into heat at the same time because of being with the buck but the only way to know is to put them in with him. Good luck, having kids is a lot of fun [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by