Questions on Ivermectin and Lice

@casportpony can you please give me details on treating lice with horse paste ivermectin? I gave my chickens pea sized dabs yesterday. I now know that was way too much. They seem fine though. Lice are not dead yet. I'm wondering about egg withdrawal? I know people use ivermectin internally so I'm not too worried about ingesting some... Thank you for any info you can share!

When I give the paste I transfer it to a 1 ml syringe and give about 0.12 ml per 5 pounds. When I tested it on the chickens it took 48-72 hours to kill all lice. It only took 24 hours with the peafowl, but I suspect that's because it's a different type of louse.

I use Ivermectin on my alpacas, both injection and topical. For my smaller animals, I find that DE (diatomaceous earth) works very well for most all hard-bodied critters. I sprinkle it in their run and they seem to enjoy dust bathing themselves in it. I also add it to their food.

Last edited:
I use Ivermectin on my alpacas, both injection and topical. For my smaller animals, I find that DE (diatomaceous earth) works very well for most all hard-bodied critters. I sprinkle it in their run and they seem to enjoy dust bathing themselves in it. I also add it to their food.
Welcome to BYC!

Thank you! I've been lurking on BYC posts for years.
Glad to have you here!
big_smile.png

When I give the paste I transfer it to a 1 ml syringe and give about 0.12 ml per 5 pounds. When I tested it on the chickens it took 48-72 hours to kill all lice. It only took 24 hours with the peafowl, but I suspect that's because it's a different type of louse.

0.12ml per 5lbs
would be like, .03ml for 1.25lbs right?

trying to figure a dosage for call ducks

Yeah, about 0.03 for 1.25 pounds. Is there a reason you want to use paste instead of the injectable or pour on?

From what I understood the pour on shouldnt be injested, im worried about them swimming and preening in their pools and then drinking the water that has any kind of the residue in it and dont want to have to deal with restricting their water usage... And then i dont remember why i thought i shouldnt use injectable. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom