questions on making a brooder inside the coop

Pics
Has anyone done the brooder in the coop with mixed ages? I have heard a lot of times if up to 3-4 weeks apart in age you can add younger ones. I am hoping to do this but with it in the coop not sure when to open the door if I have 2-3 week olds with 5 week olds....

Has anyone done the brooder in the coop with mixed ages? I have heard a lot of times if up to 3-4 weeks apart in age you can add younger ones. I am hoping to do this but with it in the coop not sure when to open the door if I have 2-3 week olds with 5 week olds....

I have that going on here right now actually. I plan to wait until the youngest are ready.

Good luck. Often it works with that age difference, sometimes it doesn't. But just because the 5 week olds "can" be out doesn't mean they "have" to be. I'd also wait on the young ones.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure if younger would be ok to be let loose a little younger where the full grown chickens have gotten used to the older chicks.

Good luck. Often it works with that age difference, sometimes it doesn't. But just because the 5 week olds "can" be out doesn't mean they "have" to be. I'd also wait on the young ones.
I know I am hoping it works. I have a broody hen right now too, just debating if I want to try her with the youngest chicks or not. They are due to hatch the 8th. She went broody right after they went in the incubator so good timing if I do

Question. Right now I have 4 week olds and 1 week olds in my coop brooder. I let them run around today in the coop with me in there. A couple hens that were laying growled at them so they ran, one pen pecked one and it ran and she stayed in the same spot. Then my yr old roo was in there and actually called them over when he felt he found something, a couple even picked at his face and he was fine. This was the 4 week olds. The younger ones stayed much closer or in the brooder but there are a couple that are more outgoing.

When would it be safe to try to open the chick doors with the younger ones in there?

Back
Top Bottom