1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions on our first EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChooksinChoppers, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    [​IMG] One of our 2 silkie girls laid yesterday! Finally! The one on the left is a large sized store bought egg, silkie's is on the right. I'ts SO tiny and cute!
    Q#1 She didnt lay it until the afternoon yesterday...is that normal?
    Q#2 My DD candled it and said she couldn't see a yolk? Can you see the yolk with candling?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Really fresh eggs are harder to candle because the albumen has a murkiness that obscures the view.

ETA: and CONGRATULATIONS on the pretty little egg!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    CONGRATS on the egg. When my hens first started laying they tended to lay at any time during the day. Even now after a year I still have a couple that prefer laying in the afternoon.

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Yay! and a second one today! Won't be long and I will have enough for my breakfast [​IMG] (really tiny eggs)

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Mine laid one afternoon, then the same, then I. The mornings again in the morning then again in the afternoon lol, mine
    LAy all different hours. She is new to this so o rhyme or reason. Soon my other girls will follow I hope ! We got seven perfect eggs so far,we will be having dinner tomorrow with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by