Questions on Permits

The county office is no help because the woman does not know the answer. They seldom do. Go to you district representitive. If they don't know they do know who to find out from. That's what they're elected for. To help you and anybody else that needs answers. The acreage thing is something I've never heard of. We also have the 200 sq. ft. thing here. And even then here we can refuse to pay a fee and the county put a hold or lien on the place and after you sell it then they get their blood money.

In our area, if you don't have electricity or water run to it, you don't need a permit. However, I am in Wyoming and you are in Indiana. The rules are probably different.

Look at the website for your county in Indiana. There should be a FAQ for building permits or a shortcut to "is a building Permit required" type of link. If nothing else, contact the building inspectors for your county and ask if you need to get a building permit for a temporary/movable structure, without a foundation, that is less than 200 sq. ft.

For instance, I looked at the website for Tippecanoe county, and for a 8x14 movable coop, you would not need a permit, a 8x15 moveable coop would and it would cost $50 plus a $20 filing fee. The permit requirement kicks in at 120 sq. ft.

Back
Top Bottom